Another lx towing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hate to ask given that there's so many towing posts already but I'm just making sure before I pull the trigger on a lx570.
I've got a 26' Dutchman Denali that I tow twice a year. Once to my hunting lease, then once back home 250 miles each 70% interstate. Total length 29'9" unloaded curb weight 6600lbs with a 9680 gvwr. Is the lx going to be up to the job with proper setup(lt tires, brake controller, spacers) or am I stretching it?
I currently have a tundra that I obviously know is better suited for the job but id really like to get back in an suv for trail rides and daily driving. If I towed it more frequently I wouldn't even consider the lx

I hate to ask given that there's so many towing posts already but I'm just making sure before I pull the trigger on a lx570.
I've got a 26' Dutchman Denali that I tow twice a year. Once to my hunting lease, then once back home 250 miles each 70% interstate. Total length 29'9" unloaded curb weight 6600lbs with a 9680 gvwr. Is the lx going to be up to the job with proper setup(lt tires, brake controller, spacers) or am I stretching it?
I currently have a tundra that I obviously know is better suited for the job but id really like to get back in an suv for trail rides and daily driving. If I towed it more frequently I wouldn't even consider the lx
I think if you can keep the Loaded trailer under ~8k lbs you will be fine. If it is closer to ~9k lbs, I wouldn’t do it.

Depends on your comfort level. I assume this is with a newer 8-speed LX with bigger brakes?

I could be bullish and say it can work if you're particular with the setup. This is on the upper end and a bit over what the spec capacity is. Power and brakes won't be an issue. Neither would tongue weight. The thing you'll need to pay attention to is to ensure stability on account of the relatively shorter wheelbase. If you manage this, it can and will tow well.

Specifically:
1) You'll want a good WD hitch and to dial in enough WD tension to restore front axle weight
2) Make sure the ball is as close and tight to the rear bumper as possible to minimize leverage of the trailer to tongue weight and sway. May require modifying (cut and drill) the drop hitch to bring it in tighter
3) Dial in enough trailer brake bias
4) The 20" wheels will already be an advantage to sway stability, but you'll want to inflate the rear tires 5-8psi more than stock pressures to further control the load
5) Agreed with @coleAK, watch the amount of weight you load into the trailer. Maintain sufficient tongue weight. Keep heavier things over the trailer axles. Avoid added weight past the trailer axles.

I'm looking at pre 16' models but the brakes would be upgraded before even my boat gets hooked to it. Either with 16+ or tundra calipers and ebc's.

You are fine. People make stuff into such a big deal when its really not, with all of the things you discussed doing (brake controller, etc.).

The engine and transmission are fine. The hitch receiver is built into the frame. The AHC is fine with that weight. You just need to be sure you can stop. That's it.

580B2F24-84B0-4E4C-A928-A320FA4ECD05.jpeg

You are fine. People make stuff into such a big deal when its really not, with all of the things you discussed doing (brake controller, etc.).

The engine and transmission are fine. The hitch receiver is built into the frame. The AHC is fine with that weight. You just need to be sure you can stop. That's it.

View attachment 2430675
I know alot of people do overkill on tow rigs. There's alot of bass boat guys that wont pull a 4500lb fiberglass boat with anything less than a 2500 diesel and talk to you like you're the biggest moron on the planet if you don't.
Only reason I went to the tundra from my 4runner to pull mine was I was towing 2-300 miles sometimes to fish tournaments and I felt like I was murdering that poor transmission.
Granted I know the lx is nowhere near the best tow rig for my camper but I wanted to be sure with proper upgrades and precautions it'd be suitable no more than its behind it.

BTW is that a 327 Valor?

I know alot of people do overkill on tow rigs. There's alot of bass boat guys that wont pull a 4500lb fiberglass boat with anything less than a 2500 diesel and talk to you like you're the biggest moron on the planet if you don't.
Only reason I went to the tundra from my 4runner to pull mine was I was towing 2-300 miles sometimes to fish tournaments and I felt like I was murdering that poor transmission.
Granted I know the lx is nowhere near the best tow rig for my camper but I wanted to be sure with proper upgrades and precautions it'd be suitable no more than its behind it.

BTW is that a 327 Valor?

First, I like your Intrepid knowledge. That is actually a 323 (the model before the 327). Second, I think the LX is actually a pretty dang good tow vehicle (much better than the LC which I have now). I had a 2009 LX 570 for a while and the AHC is huge for towing. Everything from backing under a trailer and just lowering the truck to get the ball on and raising it back up, to lifting the truck up when you back down a ramp and keeping it out of salt water, to automatic leveling under load, makes the LX a good choice. Obvious limitations like the short wheelbase are an issue but Toyota has these rigs way underrated on towing capacity as you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom