Another Aussie 1964 FJ45 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

'64 dash but floor shift only.

image.jpg

G'day payney yes your complete steering assembly has been updated including the steering box mount at some stage in the old girls life to the later type, the original mount would be the saddle clamp type not bolt together.

My guess as why it was changed probably local workshop couldnt get parts for worn out box, easy and cheap to upgarde to readily available later setup.

catskinner has the drum. I'm on really bad internet, so I can't check your steering box to chassis mount picture, but depending on how much has been changed will dictate how much work is required to revert her to stock. You could run the current setup with an older style wheel (assuming the splines are the same) until you get the dash cut from west aussie, then do it all in one hit. If you're lucky enough the cut may even come with an ignition switch and key. That column in there now is 1975+

Anyone know who sells 7.5 R16 tyres here in Australia been looking but can't find much.

Planning to start the tear down soon can't wait to get the hands dirty. Got to get that motor off the tray and into the shed which will be a fair task.

7.50 16 tyres are still available, your local shop should be itching to get them for you.
Could also run 235/85 16 but i find they scrub on the chassis being a little fatter at the tread

Im thinking about running some mrf super tractions on my 1963 when i get her on the road, i have set of dunlop road trak majors which are the classic old landcruiser tyre but its pointless wearing them out if they carnt be replaced ( something else to think about cult45 ) plus the safety factor.
Payney it may take abit of looking but the rims you need are single piece 16" rims not split rims

Been a long time since I popped my ugly head in here so thought I'd do an update on the goings on, no need to get comfortable this won't take long haha.

I found a glove box lid with the internal hinge in Ouyen so packed the family into the 60 and went for a road trip to pick it up. Grabbed some split rims and three originals off him too.

10468512_680532438721761_5831517909797011345_n.jpg

10945538_680532458721759_3783017012890442742_n.jpg

10945656_680532478721757_8471517835377050848_n.jpg

That's about it for now I don't have the income to get stuck into this project yet sadly.

Last edited:
Keep ticking along mate and don't lose sight.

Well last year I became unemployed so there is literally no budget for the 45 I still have it and will not part with it and with the extra time I have I wish I could start chipping away at it but I can't think of anything worth doing with $0 I still have no shed so I don't see sense in starting to tear it down.

My thoughts at this stage have shifted a little the direction I want to go is to get it on the road rather than spend years on a ground up resto so that would mean the bodywork needs fixing up, the engine and gearbox need to go back in along with sourcing a transfer but I will dispose of the farm spec tray for something a bit more aesthetically pleasing (and lighter)

Anyone have any $0 dollar jobs I could start on while the Ute is still sitting in the yard covered by a tarp?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear the bad news with the job mate my advise is to pull that tarp and give the old girl some loving with a good wash and clean inside and out every few weeks.
I would try and get some fish oil into the inside windscreen and doors etc once it's spotless from dirt and muck to stop any rust that may be lurking. I would also spray every nut and bolt you find from top to bottom with a good penetrating spray so when you get the funds everything should come apart easy.

Good thinking thanks oz can't believe I didn't think of that. The job was rubbish I was so close to quitting anyway where I live is rubbish for jobs in my trade so we are trying to live on the one income we get by but it leaves little left to play with. I will get the tarp off tomorrow and do a bit more tidying up.

Last edited:
I have been thinking of getting the engine off the tray and putting it undercover, then removing the tray and getting rid of it or bang some legs on the bugger to use as a bench.

I had a good look over her today and noticed a few things that will need attention chomping at the bit to work on it especially after parting with the beloved 60.

I've been in the same position and it's always tough. As Ozcruiser said, cleaning only costs your time and busted knuckles. Other thingsyou can do are clean electrical terminals and switches, clean earth points, pull the tank and clean it. Pull the fan and ducting and clean it all out, its amazing how much bulldust collects in those, and flush out the heater core.

Something else you could try, is doing all those things round the house/yard that you'll neglect when you have a job and start spending money on the cruiser!

You been talking to my wife mate? haha

Yeah truth be told there other things I should be working on but doesn't stop ya wanting to play with cruisers does it ;)

I like to think of it as another form of preventative maintenance! If I tick off the honey do maintenance, it prevents the missus from harassing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom