another a44Of issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. Recently my a44Of started slipping when cold,and then wouldn't change out of first until it warmed a bit. Then no overdrive lockup. Fluid level was right, kickdown cable fine.
I pulled the pan and the filter was very clean. The fluid was clean too. [ I drain and fill 5 litres every 6 months or so with dex111] The magnets had a small amount of fine graphite looking material on them, but overall very clean compared to my cherokee trans when I inspected it. I have a separate fluid radiator mounted horizontally with a fan that kicks in when the temp reaches 1OOC, so the trans has never overheated.
Assuming it's the original trans, it has done over half a million kms, witch is some sort of miracle in itself.
I put the pan back and topped up with fresh dex111, and added some lucas tranny s***e.
Now it changes fine and doesn't slip any more, but no overdrive still. It also seems sluggish at 1OOkmph. It has noticably less power than it had when the overdrive lock was working.
I did the "party trick" a couple of times, but no change.

To any tranny guru's. What is the most likely reason the a44Of stops locking overdrive? The lock up relay control valve is easy to access if I pull the pan again. If this valve is a common culprit I will pull the pan and inspect it. If not, I suppose driving it the way it is should be ok.
Thanks.

So... the next day it changes normally again. still no overdrive. Did a stall test after warmed up. seems to be in the normal spec. 175O rpms in d and r. I guess the torque conv is ok.

hmmmm. The lock up relay control valve has 2 springs The manual only shows 1 heavy spring. The other hair spring at the opposite end was kinda scrunched up and popped out through the slot in the valve sleeve. refitted the valve and springs. fingers crossed that little spring was the problem. Quietly optimistic because once the small spring is positioned properly it seems impossible to dislodge it through the sleeve slot again. If that makes sense.
Will test run tomorrow.

WOW success!! all works perfectly again + overdrive. I was very lucky. The little extra spring confuses me.I don't think it belongs there according to the manual. Maybe it's been rodneyed at some stage. Could be part of the extreme upgrade. who knows.
Cheers.

I love happy endings especially when an A440F is involved. :beer:

I noticed a couple of old threads about no overdrive lock. The valve is very easy to access compared to the rest of the valve body. page AT-112 in my edition of the manual. Well worth checking out before rebuild ect. If anyone can explain the extra little spring, I would love to know. It is very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom