Events/Trails Annual Ouray trip Aug 2th-6th, 2023 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Our club, Tornado Alley Cruisers, will be heading out for SAS and may have outgrown our accommodations at the KOA. If any sites become available we would be interested in one, possibly two.

Looking forward to meeting other groups along the way. We come with old cruisers, merch and lots of whiskey 😎

BF824EAB-BD26-47B5-BF0C-B9573A0CFC67.jpeg

IMG_9013.jpeg

Last edited:
Snow clearing!!!

Screenshot_20230622_085521_Facebook.jpg

So I am feeling a little chicken about driving my rig up with out a bunch of seat time in it. I am going to trailer it. I called Jill today and they had an RV spot available, so I booked it. I will be in site 16. Let’s hope I make it up this time.

Check out this well done video

Given the lack of rainfall and high winds now present in much of the West, please USE EXTREME CAUTION regarding fires.

Yeah, I know that there's still 47 feet of snow on the San Juans, but getting there (or almost anywhere in NM) requires passing through some very dry areas with no rain expected for the next week or so. Humidity tonight in Taos is 18%.

So please be careful! (Talkin' to you, USFS...)

Given the lack of rainfall and high winds now present in much of the West, please USE EXTREME CAUTION regarding fires.

Yeah, I know that there's still 47 feet of snow on the San Juans, but getting there (or almost anywhere in NM) requires passing through some very dry areas with no rain expected for the next week or so. Humidity tonight in Taos is 18%.

So please be careful! (Talkin' to you, USFS...)
I just got back from a week camping at Tolby CG in the Cimarron Canyon State Park. I was a little surprised how hot, dry and windy it was at Eagle Nest, Taos, Red River and especially when we drove down to Cimarron to go to the store at Philmont, Scouting Museum, Aztec Mill Museum, etc.

Hi guys,
My wife and I got back last nite from a week+ long camping trip to Colorado which included 2 nights in Silverton and 2 in Ouray. It was kind of a impromptu trip the camper was ready. I mentioned hot springs and the wife was there, she hadn't been to Ouray since she was a child.
I was impressed with the amount of nicely kitted out toyotas I saw mixed in with the rental fleets of Jeeps and Broncos and also the full sized trucks hauling their side by sides. I considered it a subtle Toyota flex since it was not a rendezvous week. I was going to make a mud post about it but I figured it would fit nicely here in the HDC sub, being only a few weeks out from the trip.

I got lucky my wife told me we should bring the Land Cruiser next time we go, what she doesn't know is that was the plan the whole time ;). In Ouray we camped at Angel Creek CG one of the FCFS campgrounds about 5 min up a spur road out of town. It was never 100% full during our two days there.

20230712_115311_copy_768x432.jpg

20230712_082841_copy_768x432.jpg

20230712_210315_copy_768x432.jpg

Thanks for the trail report amigo!! Here's the info on the Angel creek campground in case someone needs this info. It's the same trail we take to Yankee Boy basin (or Imogene pass evetually). This the Camp Bird road that we turn off just outside of Ouray. Usually we see lots of trailers parked across the turnoff on a dirt lot.

General Information​

Directions:
Travel south on State Highway 550 from Ouray, CO. Turn right at end of town on Canyon Creek road (County Road 361). Turn right on FSR 853.81 to campground.

Excited to see everyone...
I will be heading up early and staying at Molas Lake Campground. Pretty cool spot, very good fishing. I will be there 31st through the morning of the 2nd waiting for the group to pass by.

Feel free to pop in if you are rolling early- I am in site 16 and will be monitoring 146.400- KG5TVK. Stocked lake and I have plenty of spare rods and tackle if you or kids want to get hooked up with dinner.

Best!
J

As of now, I'm heading out this Monday for Leadville, CO for some camping by a lake (hopefully) and MTB riding. I have no idea of my ETD or destination.

If some of you wanna convoy up to Ouray on Wed, be sure to post up, especially if you're doing a major project to your rig before hitting the road.

As of now, I'm heading out this Monday for Leadville, CO for some camping by a lake (hopefully) and MTB riding. I have no idea of my ETD or destination.

If some of you wanna convoy up to Ouray on Wed, be sure to post up, especially if you're doing a major project to your rig before hitting the road.
😂 I feel like I may be the guy with the major project. I am playing it safe this trip and not bringing the troopy until I properly test everything.

😂 I feel like I may be the guy with the major project. I am playing it safe this trip and not bringing the troopy until I properly test everything.
Your playing it very smart Bryan, because nothing ruins a trip more that wrenching on the hwy as traffic zooms by you while the pavement is sizzling at 125° ! I know this was a hard decision to make.

Well, my transmission woes continue and I am not going to make it up. I just canceled my RV site if anyone needs one. I hope you all have fun.

Camped in the San Luis valley, CO last night. Heading to Leadville in a couple of hours then look for a spot.

20230801_064422.jpg

20230731_201932.jpg

20230801_064424.jpg

20230801_064428.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom