ammo cases water tight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dry badges all the way. Many advantages already mentioned. I use them all the time in the Pacific NW on the water and in hiking packs. Multiple smaller ones work better than one large in general. I use: one for my sleeping bag, 1-2 for extra clothing, 1 for other supply’s, and I have a small light one that I put inside one of the others with my phone and satalite Messager.

I do use plastic ammo cans (from Cabelas) in my car and camper. I have gotten rid of most of my metal ones and personally feel the plastic ones are superior 99%of the time for my use.

thanks guys, after reading the real world experiences on here, dry bags it is. @Prairie Swamp, you asked if compartments or strapped to deck. they'll be strapped to deck. was that just curiosity or have you got some sage words of advice. i'm willing to listen

Last edited:
Use nalgene stlye water bottles to hold your firestarters and other small essential. Great for keeping stuff dry, tough, and double as a water bottle when needed!

Use nalgene stlye water bottles to hold your firestarters and other small essential. Great for keeping stuff dry, tough, and double as a water bottle when needed!
Not sure I'd want to drink from a bottle that might be contaminated by magnesium/sulfur from fire starters. Good idea but
something to think about. I have little pelican cases 4"x3"x8" for that kind of thing.

thanks guys, after reading the real world experiences on here, dry bags it is. @Prairie Swamp, you asked if compartments or strapped to deck. they'll be strapped to deck. was that just curiosity or have you got some sage words of advice. i'm willing to listen

I was just curious. My kayak is a Pygmy Boats Arctic Tern. It is a traditional touring sea kayak and as such has waterproof compartments fore and aft. I still use dry bags kind of for belt and suspenders dryness/flotation but also for organization. If I had an open deck type kayak I would definitely follow the advice here - dry bags well lashed and heavy stuff distributed with lighter stuff for flotation.

yeah, my 'yak is nothing as fancy as yours sounds. mine's more for just putzin' around on small lakes n rivers here in central ontario. the gear is just for those unforseen "ooohh fauque" situations than anything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom