Builds Amateur's 200-Series Build Follies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been a while since I've updated this thread, for various reasons. The main one though is that I've been waiting (and waiting) for my EVO Corse wheels to be delivered. Finally, my set of five wheels arrived a couple of weeks ago. I am extemenly happy with the wheels. Even the decals, which I planned to remove, don't look so bad. I've since had 'Merica's Tire mount BFG KO2's on them. Here they are just coming out of the shop:

IMG_4220.jpeg

The slightly wider stance makes for slightly improved handling. But this is without using spacers, which is the main reason I waited so long to get these wheels. Worth the wait in my opinion. Also, I'm happy to say the spare wheel still fits nicely underneath - a relief since I am not wanting to put a swing-arm bumper on the back. Here's why...

IMG_4232.jpeg

Airstream 23CB, the land-yacht. I'm still working on dialing-in the weight distribution, hitch height and airbag pressure, but as of now it feels really good.

Next up... ??? my focus will shift towards improving the usability of the rear trunk area. Specifically I need to squeeze out as much space for my two 55lb dogs and still leave some room for some basic gear. For this purpose, I am thinking about removing the third row seats, then getting some drawers and dividers, like those offered by ARB. ARB also offers a ceiling-level shelf. Depending on my dogs' reaction to the new setup I may still want to get one dog crate back there (one dog is a little anxious in the car, but I think with drawers and dividers, she may be ok).

HAM, air compressor, inReach, recovery gear is all protable. Solar, lithium and kitchen are part of the trailer. At this point I think some armor could be next on the list. Some sliders would be good for side protection. I'd love to get a front bumper to mitigate any damage from animal impacts and possibly mount a winch. A simple rooftop mount to the existing rack for MaxTrax would be good too...

Any suggestions?

I got those EVO wheels also recently. It did take forever but they look great. I haven't installed them yet and was also going for the KO2s. Are those the 18" wheels? What size tire did you get in the KO2s? My truck is also magnetic grey so I really like the way yours turned out. Looks great! I might have a few other questions for you about the install but I'll send you a message to not derail your thread.

Trekboxx was kicking around an idea for a half drawer/fridge system with top shelving and a divider. I liked that idea because sometimes I want to use at least one of the third row seats or give my dog space from floor to roof. Much easier to get 5 adults or 6 with a kid if you got that extra jump seat on the right side. Or literally I need the space for hauling items of various heights. I would just throw a cooler or a Plano box instead of a fridge but I like the idea of a half drawer/storage/divider/shelf system. Maybe a suggestion or my thoughts. Or maybe you could make that happen and then share pictures before I actually do it like the wheels and tires above. Lol.

I got those EVO wheels also recently. It did take forever but they look great. I haven't installed them yet and was also going for the KO2s. Are those the 18" wheels? What size tire did you get in the KO2s? My truck is also magnetic grey so I really like the way yours turned out. Looks great! I might have a few other questions for you about the install but I'll send you a message to not derail your thread.

Thanks @Raising2hundo! Those are 17" with 285/70/17 tires. Some folks are using 285/75 with more trimming. I did not want to trim any plastic, plus was concerned about the spare fitting underneath (not 100% sure this is an issue), and also keeping weight down. They look great IMO - not too small, not too big.

Trekboxx was kicking around an idea for a half drawer/fridge system with top shelving and a divider. I liked that idea because sometimes I want to use at least one of the third row seats or give my dog space from floor to roof. Much easier to get 5 adults or 6 with a kid if you got that extra jump seat on the right side. Or literally I need the space for hauling items of various heights. I would just throw a cooler or a Plano box instead of a fridge but I like the idea of a half drawer/storage/divider/shelf system. Maybe a suggestion or my thoughts. Or maybe you could make that happen and then share pictures before I actually do it like the wheels and tires above. Lol.
I like those Trekboxxes. They got the cargo barrier, which is a necessity to prevent one of my dogs from eating the back seat. I've also been looking at AirDownGearUp, but as of now they do not have the divider as an option. With two dogs, I think I need the full width cargo area unfortunately. Sorry friends - you'll have to get your own ride! ;)

F**** that looks great! How did you like the ride with your springs and the tires? Better than stock?

Where did you order the EC wheels from and what was the lead time?

F**** that looks great! How did you like the ride with your springs and the tires? Better than stock?

Where did you order the EC wheels from and what was the lead time?
Thanks @04UZJ100! The ride is a bit firmer and handles quite a bit better than stock, yet still manages to stay within the 'plush' range. I've used various bilstein products and they seem much firmer by comparison to the FCP's. I'm not sure if it's the vehicle or the suspension, but this rig eats up moderate terrain. My kid actually slept in the back seat through 20-30 minutes of gnarly large rocky/gravel switch-backs in Big Sur with this setup. That's as good a testament as anything!

The lead time for the EVOs via Main Line Overland was 8-10 weeks, but mine actually took a little longer. However this was through the thick of COVID in Italy - maybe (hopefully) it's better now. I would do it all over again given the choice - they are worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom