Am I missing something? (Snorkel mod question) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah, a guy at lunch today showed me how the filter in his jeep is set up, alot like what you just said. The air box is even the same size of the Ammo Can I'm running.... I guess I could just buy a Jeep air box since it already has the correct filter size and design... but I think making it would be more fun!

I kind of like what *Mickey* said:

Jeep=look what daddy bought me
FJ-40=look what my dad helped me build

I have never heard any significant negatives to a top filter. it *will* be more vulnerable to mud caking onto it and water splash saturating it. Simple to put a guard around it though.

Not saying you *should* use a top filter, just pointing out that that $60 K&N could work there with no need to build a box.

I took an ammo box with me yesterday and found a panel filter that fits very very well. sits in the middle of the box running end to end and top to bottom. Will need a set of rails welded to the inside ends to secure it. It is a $9 Fram filter here in AK. The inlet and outlet can be anywhere on the two sides of the box.

Not better than your idea. Just different. And cheaper I guess. :)

I also came up with some mods to make the F engine assy work very well... Bit I will start my own thread for that when I get a chance to mess with it in a week or two.

You will want to extend your axle breathers. There is really no need to waterproof wiring except for the ignition system. You do want to waterproof your distributor. The OEM electronic units pretty much are already.

You will always get conflicting opinions on the net. 90% of them based on second hand stories. At best. And about 5% based on limited personal experience. Just have to weed through it all. :)

Maybe do a double panel filter with one maybe coarser cleanable foam for bigger particulate and the second actually filtering air?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom