Aluminum vs Fiberglass Tent Poles - Newb Campe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Debating tent poles (aluminum vs fiberglass) with a co-worker...

He is fairly new to camping, his son is in cub scouts so they are camping more often and he is looking to purchase an ALPS Taurus... The model is offered with either fiberglass or aluminum poles (aluminum is about $80 more).

What says mud... Are aluminum tent poles worth the additional loot or is he better off saving his money and getting fiberglass?

Scouts are liable to bend or break either type of poles. I'd go with the cheaper fiberglass poles.

Bobby Boucher, fiberglass poles is the debil!

Not really, but they get brittle in the cold, and fail after a few years' use. In the maybe five years my dad ran his tent (I'm a bivy guy, so I never had this problem) he replaced the fiberglass poles twice. He used the thing maybe a handful of times a year, and kept it protected, so by no means did they see hard use, or even frequent use. Finally they just kinda started snapping down the sides.

At this point in time (Cub Scouting) most of the camping will be car camping. Drive to the spot, dump the gear, set up, rinse and repeat. Most Cub Scout camping is very heavy with lots of camp stuff that a back-packer would have a heart attack thinking about. For Cub Scouts, heavier is better and mom and dad (yes I said mom) help do everything or just do it themselves altogether.

However, Boy Scouts venture more toward adventures that require them to carry their gear. Less car camping more back-packing and hiking, less parent involvement. Lighter is better. I would say if the intent is to keep the tent through both phases Cubs (6-10) and Boy Scouts (10-18) then go lighter now or buy new again in a few years.

I got my first tent with AL poles about three years ago. I have to say the poles are a lot stronger for their weight when compared to fiberglass. That said I camped for many years with fiberglass poles and no problems.

One thing to consider is that it's pretty easy to repair a FG pole, there are even kits available. I've done it once or twice and it's pretty straight forward.

If your buying a tent with an eye on back packing I'd go with AL. For the Cub I'd go cheap. By the time he gets to Scout age there will be better products on the market, or they can upgrade to the AL poles.

At this point in time (Cub Scouting) most of the camping will be car camping. Drive to the spot, dump the gear, set up, rinse and repeat. Most Cub Scout camping is very heavy with lots of camp stuff that a back-packer would have a heart attack thinking about. For Cub Scouts, heavier is better and mom and dad (yes I said mom) help do everything or just do it themselves altogether.

However, Boy Scouts venture more toward adventures that require them to carry their gear. Less car camping more back-packing and hiking, less parent involvement. Lighter is better. I would say if the intent is to keep the tent through both phases Cubs (6-10) and Boy Scouts (10-18) then go lighter now or buy new again in a few years.

Very good points, I still remember trying to reconcile the differences between my Cubbing gear and my Scouting gear as a just bridged over Scout. I definitly agree with the idea of getting something now with an eye to the future.
That said, my fullest recommendation is to sleep under the stars, once I gave up tents, it's the only way to roll!

Sleeping under the stars is great if the biting critters cooperate. With out a tent I'd need a transfusion by morning some of the places I go. I have a Sierra Designs Sirius that is mostly mesh when the fly is off, I love it.

Sleeping under the stars is great if the biting critters cooperate. With out a tent I'd need a transfusion by morning some of the places I go. I have a Sierra Designs Sirius that is mostly mesh when the fly is off, I love it.

that's very true, some lakes high-up tend to just be collect welt-water, and not have fish, mosquitoes get to be rather... powerful.

thunder and lightning,, i like fibreglass , way easier to repair or replace you can always find old fibreglass poles at garage/yard sales for cheap. and really in 30 plus years of camping i have only broke a couple, one time,,,, i got caught in a major storm, lightning hit the tree 5 ft from the tent, the tree luckily fell away and into the lake , the concussion and wind flattend the tent , broke 2 poles but it popped right back up ,, a tornado touched down across the lake, thousands of trees were destroyed.. fun times for sure

That said, my fullest recommendation is to sleep under the stars, once I gave up tents, it's the only way to roll!

i wish . you should camp up north with us , you wouldnt last 20 mins , may june blackflies and skeeters,, so thick they blacken the sky,, full bug suits required,

thunder and lightning,, i like fibreglass , way easier to repair or replace you can always find old fibreglass poles at garage/yard sales for cheap. and really in 30 plus years of camping i have only broke a couple, one time,,,, i got caught in a major storm, lightning hit the tree 5 ft from the tent, the tree luckily fell away and into the lake , the concussion and wind flattend the tent , broke 2 poles but it popped right back up ,, a tornado touched down across the lake, thousands of trees were destroyed.. fun times for sure

Wow, Swampman! Glad I'm listening to that story, instead of telling it!:cheers:

Even if you can't find used poles, even new fiberglass poles are like $4.

The high price on the aluminum poles is probably due to the vagaries of commodity prices. Someone made a bunch of those when the price of aluminum was way high -- or something.

I could see a bad batch coming out of the factory with fiberglass poles. But with that rare exception, I've never seen one crumble, just break after crazy abuse that would have kinked an aluminum pole.

I actually prefer aluminum poles, but I couldn't see justifying that difference in price for gear you KNOW;) will be abused. I was a Scout myself:D

I prefer the aluminum. The fiberglass ones never held up in wind for me. The walls would buckle in and you would have to hold the tent up.

Alluminum way stonger and lighter. If I am not passed out near the fire on the ground somewhere. I am usually in my Eureka El capitain 3.
In stong winds the fiberglass poles go wonky or dont hold their shape. Fiberglass are cheaper...
This post is not about cheaper but better ----------Alluminum!

I've never had fiberglass tent poles ever. Always AL, and they have always outlived the tent.:meh:

i wish . you should camp up north with us , you wouldnt last 20 mins , may june blackflies and skeeters,, so thick they blacken the sky,, full bug suits required,

where up north? by me or down by sudbury :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom