Alternator location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There are a couple of issues you need to resolve, or give the board feedback on.

The alternator bracket for a 1F engine will work for you, look for one from say 70 to 74. The alternator will need the wider pulley on it, you will probably get that with any alternator you pick up. The adjuster is just a straight bar with a long slot in it. You still have the original stud and spacer on the water pump, so you are good to go there. Looks like SOR has the bracket and adjuster you need. Settup will look like the photo posted above by living in the past.

As for alternator, how are you rewiring? The FJ40 used an external voltage regulator until the late 70's, I'm unsure of the cutoff. By 82 in US spec trucks the voltage regulator was called "internal" or integral to the alternator. Looking at Spector, they show a Non-US alternator as being externally regulated until 1987.

So, are you rewiring to have the external voltage regulator, or are replacing wires that were already there? I don't see a regulator left on your truck, I believe it mounted on the two ears high on the right side of the firewall. Looks to be a ground wire attached there in your photo. Would have been a 3? prong plastic plug there somewhere, and a corresponding 3 prong plug near the alternator. Wire color for these wires was pretty universal in all the wiring looms, There is a white one and a black one as I recall. Comes in the harness down the top of the fender and branches off below the air cleaner. The main charge wire is a larger gauge white with blue stripe wire, comes off the alternator, through the amp meter in the dash and over to the battery. This attaches to the alternator with a single ring terminal on the "B" terminal. Power for the vehicle is drawn off that wire in a big splice under the dash as I recall.

The Delco alternator that was added is a higher output, internally regulated unit. So the wiring described above would not be used, could have been chopped out.

The alternative to the external regulator, depending on the re-wiring, is an internally regulated alternator for a 3F engine here in the US. That wiring conversion is pretty well documented here on mud, and I think the alternator would fit okay there, as that is the native location on a 3F. A internally regulated alternator from a 2F, sometimes won't fit as the ears are at the wrong spot, and sometimes the housing for the regulator can interfere with mounting. It all depends on the alternator. I see on Rockauto, that most of the alternators, regardless of the engine or year seem to be straight clocked on the ears. Those would be a one size fits all deal, as the factory alternator had the adjustment ear clocked towards the block depending on the 1F orientation, or 2F orientation.

I will add, if you go with the externally regulated alternator, and you are rewiring, you can add an additional wire and use an electronic regulator for any 70's Ford and you will have a more reliable regulator than the original points based unit. I did that years ago, and it was a good upgrade, the regulator needs input from the "B" terminal. I made a pigtail to splice the factory wiring to the Ford regulator wiring, but you could wire direct if you are re-wiring.

The one off my 74 went with that bracket. I just gave it away a few months ago. It was a 40 amp. I'm pretty sure it was the same for at least a few prior years. The one I showed above with the narrow pulley was off a 75. You should have luck in the wanted section as they often get replaced for something with higher amps.
I sure think one for a 74 would work. Check "THESE" out
Sorry I'm so late in responding, but I wanted to thank you for your help. I'm new to this and I don't get to spend a lot of time working on the FJ. Anyway, thank you very much.

Sorry I'm so late in responding, but I wanted to thank you for your help. I'm new to this and I don't get to spend a lot of time working on the FJ. Anyway, thank you very much.
Let us know when you get it worked out. Besides some of us being curious, your solution may help someone else with a similar problem.

There are a couple of issues you need to resolve, or give the board feedback on.

The alternator bracket for a 1F engine will work for you, look for one from say 70 to 74. The alternator will need the wider pulley on it, you will probably get that with any alternator you pick up. The adjuster is just a straight bar with a long slot in it. You still have the original stud and spacer on the water pump, so you are good to go there. Looks like SOR has the bracket and adjuster you need. Settup will look like the photo posted above by living in the past.

As for alternator, how are you rewiring? The FJ40 used an external voltage regulator until the late 70's, I'm unsure of the cutoff. By 82 in US spec trucks the voltage regulator was called "internal" or integral to the alternator. Looking at Spector, they show a Non-US alternator as being externally regulated until 1987.

So, are you rewiring to have the external voltage regulator, or are replacing wires that were already there? I don't see a regulator left on your truck, I believe it mounted on the two ears high on the right side of the firewall. Looks to be a ground wire attached there in your photo. Would have been a 3? prong plastic plug there somewhere, and a corresponding 3 prong plug near the alternator. Wire color for these wires was pretty universal in all the wiring looms, There is a white one and a black one as I recall. Comes in the harness down the top of the fender and branches off below the air cleaner. The main charge wire is a larger gauge white with blue stripe wire, comes off the alternator, through the amp meter in the dash and over to the battery. This attaches to the alternator with a single ring terminal on the "B" terminal. Power for the vehicle is drawn off that wire in a big splice under the dash as I recall.

The Delco alternator that was added is a higher output, internally regulated unit. So the wiring described above would not be used, could have been chopped out.

The alternative to the external regulator, depending on the re-wiring, is an internally regulated alternator for a 3F engine here in the US. That wiring conversion is pretty well documented here on mud, and I think the alternator would fit okay there, as that is the native location on a 3F. A internally regulated alternator from a 2F, sometimes won't fit as the ears are at the wrong spot, and sometimes the housing for the regulator can interfere with mounting. It all depends on the alternator. I see on Rockauto, that most of the alternators, regardless of the engine or year seem to be straight clocked on the ears. Those would be a one size fits all deal, as the factory alternator had the adjustment ear clocked towards the block depending on the 1F orientation, or 2F orientation.

I will add, if you go with the externally regulated alternator, and you are rewiring, you can add an additional wire and use an electronic regulator for any 70's Ford and you will have a more reliable regulator than the original points based unit. I did that years ago, and it was a good upgrade, the regulator needs input from the "B" terminal. I made a pigtail to splice the factory wiring to the Ford regulator wiring, but you could wire direct if you are re-wiring.
Thank you for all of that. I’m just now getting back to it. I’ve ordered an alternator, and I’m certain it’s externally regulated. I’m in the middle of building a new under dash harness, and what you’ve given me is excellent condition no. The ammeter was nit even in the existing wiring along with a lot of other dash items. The wiring was something to behold. The blue/white wire running from the fuse block, running to the passenger side firewall went through three wire colors and taped splices before it terminated.
I’m using a wiring schematic I found which most closely resembles the vehicle configuration. I’m going to pick your brain again once I get closer to installing the loom. Thanks very much again. 👍

Thank you for all of that. I’m just now getting back to it. I’ve ordered an alternator, and I’m certain it’s externally regulated. I’m in the middle of building a new under dash harness, and what you’ve given me is excellent condition no. The ammeter was nit even in the existing wiring along with a lot of other dash items. The wiring was something to behold. The blue/white wire running from the fuse block, running to the passenger side firewall went through three wire colors and taped splices before it terminated.
I’m using a wiring schematic I found which most closely resembles the vehicle configuration. I’m going to pick your brain again once I get closer to installing the loom. Thanks very much again. 👍
Okay. The rear wire loom is complete and installed. The under hood loom is complete and installed. The under dash last I’m is complete, and tested. I laid it on the floorboard and attached all the switches to verify operation. The steering column is a chop job, with the horn contact way to far below the steering wheel to make contact, but I’ll figure that out later. I bought a rebuilt alternator on eBay and it fits. Wide pulley and all. Now I’m looking for recommendations fir an external regulator. Here are some pics.

Okay. The rear wire loom is complete and installed. The under hood loom is complete and installed. The under dash last I’m is complete, and tested. I laid it on the floorboard and attached all the switches to verify operation. The steering column is a chop job, with the horn contact way to far below the steering wheel to make contact, but I’ll figure that out later. I bought a rebuilt alternator on eBay and it fits. Wide pulley and all. Now I’m looking for recommendations fir an external regulator. Here are some pics.
Here are some pics

C902FB08-2D8A-4B21-856C-58DE41E8BE6D.jpeg

964563A8-F182-4BA2-B99E-BA20520D06E9.jpeg

C9767576-9918-4E13-89DD-BA12F14221BC.jpeg

3F5FEB32-7EF6-4DCC-ACC0-B3A9F432897C.jpeg

A5B4FB2A-65EE-4293-AA56-5350A471F2F9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom