Alternative Super Charger Interest? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys.....

So right after I drove my baby home she decided to stop running. Since then it has morphed into a huge project that is nearing completion. I traded the 3fe for a 1fz-fe and "while I am in there" I built the motor up for forced induction. I grabbed one of the manifold blanks that were made up here and started to plan for a turbo. There was always a little birdy in the back of my head that said I should use a M90 S/C like I did on my jeep. Very cheap and easy to set up. I am currently in engineering school and have taken that opportunity to research efficiency of forced air. By way of school papers I have run into a few knowledgeable people along the way and have found a few things misinterpreted about "parasitic loss" and the advantages/disadvantages of S/C vs turbo. As I dont want to get into it, it has found me back in the S/C camp.

So...... a really long story just a bit shorter....... I am going to be mounting a M122 from a mustang on my 1fz. It is still relatively cheap compared to turbo, and I can mount it with a bit less trouble. Although this is yet to be seen. By rough measurements alone it looks like it should mount closely to the same as the TRD charger. The M122 will run much cooler than the TRD charger because it will be operating at the bottom of its efficiency map as apposed to the M90 TRD that is at the top of its efficiency. The M122 is a much newer and more refined S/C with different coatings and even helix. It will also have the opportunity for MUCH more power if a person wanted to go stand alone. If not it can be run with fairly large pulley which is easier to manage belt slipping as well as less torque/moment parasitic loss at low RPM. This configuration you can easily run the standard 5-10 PSI on the factory fueling/ECU combo. It should run much cooler in this range making for safer more predictable power across the board.

So my question would be....... I will be doing a carbon fiber intake or S/C manifold for mine. I am currently working as a mold designer/cnc programmer at a carbon fiber shop. If I were to put together a kit, with S/C, pulleys, belt, mounts(cnc aluminum pretty not simple plain crap), a molded carbon supercharger manifold. What would this be worth to you? I can get new takeoff S/Cs quite often, but it would depend on availability. Or I could just sell the accouterments minus the super charger and leave it up to you to get one off ebay. They usually run 600-1000 bucks.

I am not sure any of this would come to fruition, I am just gauging interest before I put a bunch of time and money into a mold. I can do it pretty easy by hand but it would look a lot nicer if I built a mold for it. It will also have a carbon fiber intake to the back of the compressor which is where the intake is on a 122. I am thinking I will go to the OEM air box since everyone seems to like to keep them.

I am not looking for any commitment at all. Just to see if there is enough interest to push this along a little faster than what I have been doing.

Thanks for your time

Jason Perry

I actually found a 97 that had been flopped so I did more of a body swap. I am currently putting the tranny back together with the refreshed part time transfer case. Hopefully getting it all sewn up before Christmas break is over.

how hard was the body swap?

I have been interested in the M112 for a long time. I agree that it is a better match to the 1fz-fe and offers much more with engine management. I don't necessarily need a kit as I have a trd supercharger now, but then again it sounds like fun so I would be interested in a kit or parts of one.

Ive been sitting on an m90 just waiting to do some preventative head gasket work and figure out what to do about the V belts. I like where your head is at.

I'd be interested. I ended up rebuilding my 1FZ-FE and built it for forced air. But went over budget and the TRD S/C sold out. So I'd be interested.

Very interested.

Could be very interesting! At the end of the day you just need mounting adaptors and intake adaptor.

Yup. Calculations for pulley sizes are easy to get. Pulley and mounting solutions not quite as easy. A way to get the air in and out a bit more difficult.

I have been interested in the M112 for a long time. I agree that it is a better match to the 1fz-fe and offers much more with engine management. I don't necessarily need a kit as I have a trd supercharger now, but then again it sounds like fun so I would be interested in a kit or parts of one.

The 112 is much better match than the m90 or m62 but much harder to come by, as well as being a generation or two behind the 122 and again limited by efficiency range. The 122 however is perfectly happy pumping the air to keep a 1fzfe in 10psi. But it will be just as happy at 15psi. With engine management and injectors I think a guy could get 500 ponies out of a 1fz without anything else. It could be a much more gradual upgrade process than the normal all in for anything over 350 hp or keep yourself under. A guy could add more horses as he felt like it. That's the main attraction for me anyways. I can add supercharger and run it, down the road I can add a stand alone and play with it to get base mapping done. Add injectors later then tweek maps. Then you could add meth injection or intercooler and tweak more. Then if a guy wants more he can downsize the original oversize pulley to squeeze even more.

I don't know. It sure sounds like fun though.

I agree. That was a typo anyway, I meant to say M122 not M112. :doh:

That's a lot of "should"s. I say do it for yourself first, and if it works like you think it should consider selling a kit to others, just don't be a Duiser about it

Id be interested in a kit. sub'd to thread

That's a lot of "should"s. I say do it for yourself first, and if it works like you think it should consider selling a kit to others, just don't be a Duiser about it

Whoa a little early in the game to be calling names. Did someone have a few Saturday evening cocktails with the girls from work? I realize there is a lot of what ifs. I am also not asking for any money. I am just somewhat offset by peoples need to stay "toyota." I was wondering if I was the only dork here that likes to blend old and new and go the route less traveled. I like power and dont like to pay "toyota" prices. What I am trying to do is make it a bit higher on my priority list to finish. It takes a couple hours to make a foam mold by hand. It may take a day or two to make a permanent tool to make more than one of these. Not to mention a dollar a minute that the vacuum table is turned on, on the cnc router. I realize you probably didnt mean to sound like a dousche. Probably just the cosmos talking, but I am also sure there are others that wanted to say the same thing.

So I will give you a bit of a back story so you know I am not your typical "duiser." I am 40 not 20. Ive been machining since I was 14. Ive worked in some very big shops as well as a couple start ups. I spent quite some time designing aftermarket atv parts. I like pretty aluminum stuff. I also ran my own business for a while building high end custom rifles until that market got soaked with dorks. I am currently working on mainly experimental aircraft and prototype aircraft. We also do a large amount of business for one of the coolest overlanding vehicle companies out there right now. High dollar complete giant 4 wheel drive RVs. I am sure you have seen them on the discovery channel or another tv show. I would never ask for prepayment as I dont think its good practice nor needed. I am more looking at my schedule for the next year or two and trying to decide if I want to take 17-19 credits and finish in a year and a half, or scale it back to twelve and graduate at a normal time but be able to work a bit more and get a few things going at work. This project is one my boss likes because he has been wanting an 80 for years and the business is just now getting to a point where he can look at a fun project. It will give him a reason to get an 80 and I might get paid to work on it! Win!

how hard was the body swap?

The body swap was not hard. Would have been easier in a real shop but not all that hard. Trying to get wiring straight without any CEL is more tedious. Still not done there. I also went a little stupid with the "while Im in there" stuff. I also put in some 14" shocks and towers, hydro brakes, shift kit, part time, full running gear overhaul, big brakes, bedliner underneath and inside cab and engine bay, fat mat, ceramic coating, among a few other things. I really should just get it running down the road for a while before I tear into it again.

Jason

Subbed and interested in a kit. Looking at an engine rebuild soon and this would be a nice upgrade after the fact

Sent from my SM-G925V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom