Alternate run of the month October: Cochran Coke Ovens (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also great places!

Depending if someone wants to join up or not will depend where I go next Saturday...but I'm heading out during this prime time of year °

Last edited:
Hey anything. Need to get some dirt under the 'terrains... or grapplers, whatever. Playing around in FJ (maybe get lost again?) or?

Hey anything. Need to get some dirt under the 'terrains... or grapplers, whatever. Playing around in FJ (maybe get lost again?) or?

Pic of your 4runner on that run. I think we all used our sliders that day.

mark4rn.jpg

I'm up for something this weekend... although I am not one for coming up with ideas. Don't know many trails. I am hoping for something with a little bit of a challenge rather than just a dirt road that a Prius can run! :idea: :worms: :steer:

Casner Mtn permit season is now closed per the USFS.

Any interest in Smiley Rock near Jerome?

plans have been set up to run the Cochran Coke Ovens in FJ

Sweet! Please post "The Plan"...

Meeting at the usual Chevron gas station in gold canyon this Saturday at 7:00 am, leaving shortly thereafter to head towards Florence. Going in from the southern river entrance, then on the way out take #42 north and exit that way for as much trail variation as possible. Thinking it will be all day. Be back to pavement approx 4-5 pm

Bring lunch along for hanging and exploring at the ovens. Please post up or PM me so we know who to watch for in the am.

Weather site says 87 for high - should be a nice day :cool:

Bummer this was on my side of the valley this time too. My Saturdays are toast for outings as my boys flag football starts this weekend. Have fun!

Meeting at the usual Chevron gas station in gold canyon this Saturday at 7:00 am, leaving shortly thereafter to head towards Florence. Going in from the southern river entrance, then on the way out take #42 north and exit that way for as much trail variation as possible. Thinking it will be all day. Be back to pavement approx 4-5 pm

Bring lunch along for hanging and exploring at the ovens. Please post up or PM me so we know who to watch for in the am.

Weather site says 87 for high - should be a nice day :cool:

Hey Murf- I'm a newb- can you tell me the cross streets or address for Chevron? Thanks

My bad! It is actually a Shell gas station (there is a Mcdonalds inside also) and below is the link to the address and map.

You may want to run a mapquest to see how long it says it will take from your house to be able to allow enough time - its a ways out there!

> click here for the link. Pack a lunch/ water, ham radio if you have one, and a camera for sure. We will top off with gas here and optional McBreakfast.

LOoking forward to it! See ya'll there at 7:00am - Looks like we will have 6 trucks? Nice sized group :steer:

Last edited:
McBreakfast... LOL. See you Saturday.

Sh*t. Just veto'd by wife. Going camping by saguaro lake. Sorry fellas. Really hoping to have some fun on the trails with all of you soon.

sorry to hear that Jeff, we will catch you on the next one ~

Motley: Bringing the 40. And YES the 80 will see plenty of future wheeling trips like before so I can start the cycle all over again: scratch, buff, repeat :D

My sincere apologies for delaying everyone. I woke up late and assumed you had already departed...

I hope you had a safe and fun time!

I'll try to make up for the inconvenience by doubling my reckless antics on our next trip! :moon:

IMG_20141018_125012_973.jpg
IMG_20141018_125211_702 (1).jpg
IMG_20141018_133431_732.jpg
IMG_20141018_133447_500.jpg
IMG_20141018_133515_710.jpg
Good time today. Here are a few cell picks. Congrats to WTFJ80 who got to get his truck on three wheels several times today for the first time. Feeling the cruiser rocking back and forth in the air is a wonderful thing.

Last edited:
  • No worries lvanst...catch you next time

Our local Oct run consisted of myself, Msahr his wife and son in his 85 4Runner, WTF80 in his 80, and Motleyone his father in law and pooch in his (white) 80. And we visted the Cochran coke ovens
http://www.desertusa.com/desert-arizona/florence-coke-ovens.html

We started up the box canyon side and took the Martinez trail to the coke ovens turn off. We took the westerly way in and found some fun and challenging wheeling which was what everyone in our group was hoping for. We came in from behind the ovens and after checking them out, stopped for lunch inside one of them where it was nice and cool.
We then decided to not only try to make it down to the large steel girdered bridge but to try to find a ford across the river to a known high speed wash road and exit to the Florence Kelvin parkway. Slugging it back out on the trail would've put us home on the late side. MSahr led us into a tunnel of trees that would be pure marsh during the wet season but thankfully it was dry and we ended up right where we needed to be!
Thx to father in law Bob for the assist!

Great weather, good company, all of us in new territory with explorers mind set made for a memorable trip!

1018140855.jpg
1018141017.jpg
1018141018b.jpg

1018141018.jpg
1018141131.jpg

Motley one's dog hasn't noticed the pink panty trail tribute yet....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom