Airbags, AAL, or new springs for saggy rear end? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting, seemed to me like the consensus on this site is that 33's with 3.73 gearing and the 4 speed transmission makes an fj60 pretty gutless when it comes to mountains. It was probably one of the biggest influences for me in choosing to run 31's and forego investing in a OME lift right now. I've taken mine over plenty of mountains since purchasing it and am happy with the power and speed rolling on 31's. I could imagine 33's being satisfactory though, guess I just didn't want to chance it.

Good tip on the body mounts, I havent even really thought about them. They looked decent when I've glanced at them while under the truck.

I have seen people running 33's on the stock wheels, they definitely balloon out a bit but that's probably attractive to a lot of people. I'm a fan of the pizza cutter look for whatever reason. 31's on my stock rims are little more ballooned than I'd usually want but Ive gotten used to it though it makes me wonder how they will wear. Do you run your tires at a lower pressure so the whole contact point is on the ground? Can you go down to 10 or so psi if going in soft sand without worrying about the beed popping off?
Regearing the diffs helps a lot with the sluggishness with 33” tires. However, if you’re running a 2F engine it’s going to be a slug in the mountains period.

I have not done any wheeling with my setup. Other thinks keep breaking before I get a chance to go out on the trails, however, I think this summer will change that. So, I’m not one to ask about airing down to 10 psi. I personally wouldn’t go that low with the KO2 on the 15” rim. It’s already got a bit of bulge and I believe they need to have enough air in them to keep them seated. It seems to me that running them too low would lead to issues with the tire trying to pop off the rim when you really go to flex it. But, I’m not really the one to ask about that.

If anyone's interested in the outcome of my situation I went ahead and picked up a pair of the OME add a leafs and put them in my rear spring packs today. I decided to ditch the rubber pads and brackets that center springs on the axle. I cut the little washer/spacer things off each pad so I could reuse them to still keep the springs centered without play.

It's hard to get an accurate measurement since I live in the sticks without any truly flat surfaces near me but if I had to guess I gained about 2 inches of height in the rear. The sag is gone! The pair of AAL's and longer center pins set me back about $85 but I had to pay more than that in shipping to return those disappointingly flat springs from General Spring.

For anyone curious here's a photo showing how flat those springs from General Spring were:
IMG_6466.JPG

And here's a photo of my original toyota springs with the OME leaf added:
IMG_7467.JPG

Much, much better.. Just gotta cut the excess threads off the u-bolts next.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom