Air Pump Failures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are a couple pics of where one of the air pumps reside. The other one resides underneath the intake on some models depending on whether it is a single or dual pump system.

Notice on this Tundra example, the entire wheel well area is covered in mud and muck. People off road in their rigs, turn off the rig for a bit and restart and at this moment debris and moisture/water ingress occurs which destroys the pump over time and introduces moisture into the valves at the back of the intakes corroding their interiors making them fail as well.
RHFRONT_WHEELWELL_TUNDRA2010.jpg
RHFRONT_WHEELWELL_TUNDRA2010_2.jpg

For what it is worth, the same pump just failed out of the blue on my GX470. The pump is under the intake manifold on the 2uzfe, but it is the same part number.

If anyone has any suggestions on this, please PM me.

$1000 is beyond crazy for this part.

I stumbled upon a post on the Tundra Solutions board, where someone mentioned the pump looked a lot like a pump they had replaced on some sort of GM product.

I did a little digging and found several new and re-manufactured units that fit various GM cars.

I purchased a Dorman pn #306-010.

It is the EXACT same pump, with the exception of the electrical connection, which I can use from the old one and splice it in.

This once cost me $118, not $1000 from Toyota. I am normally a huge fan on staying OEM, but that is crazy.

Using search to dig up an old thread for a question. I know for the American spec FJ Cruiser this emissions air pump system did not get added until the 2013 model year. Since I am shopping for a 200 Series American spec Land Cruiser, is there a cut off model year where the 200 Series did not have this air pump system???

Hey no one here has had a failure in the 200 series yet right? Is it better protected on the 200 series???

There is someone that is a member here that had his pump system fail. He can chime in if he wants to.

Just did Snorkel installation and found those pumps. Any chances to remove this system in total ? In my country i no need emission control. May be somehow deactivate it ?

Just did Snorkel installation and found those pumps. Any chances to remove this system in total ? In my country i no need emission control. May be somehow deactivate it ?
I just removed the black dual horn input and plumbed them into the snorkel. The other option is to route them separately to a higher portion of the engine compartment. Do respect the diameter of the intake, they are reported to throw codes if they can’t get the necessary Air volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom