Air Filter - Rubberized or Hard Plastic Top/Bottom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders,

I just replaced my air filter with OEM 17801-66030 (non-washable), and I was surprised to find that the sealing surface top and bottom are hard plastic, not a rubberized surface like the filter I was taking out. Is that how this Toyota filter has always been? It would seem that a rubberized sealing surface would better prevent small particles from evading the filter element. Thoughts?

Thanks.

All the OEM filters for the 1FZFE I've seen had a hard black plastic top and bottom. An aftermarket filter I bought once had metal ends The rubber seals on the filter assembly (can and lid) should provide a good enough seal IMO.

All the OEM filters for the 1FZFE I've seen had a hard black plastic top and bottom. An aftermarket filter I bought once had metal ends The rubber seals on the filter assembly (can and lid) should provide a good enough seal IMO.
Huh, I don't recall seeing the rubber pieces inside that you are referring to. I'll take another look. Thanks.

Here's a photo of the inside of the air filter assembly lid.

There's a compressed fibre seal around the outer circumference of the lid to seal between the lid and the can/housing and a rubber seal in the center that presses down on the filter element. There's the same type of rubber seal on the inside bottom of the assembly (air filter can) (or should be).

FZJ80 Air filter assembly lid.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a photo of the inside of the air filter assembly lid.

There's a compressed fibre seal around the outer circumferance of the lid to seal between the lid and the can/housing and a rubber seal in the center that presses down on the filter element. There's the same type of rubber seal on the inside bottom of the assembly (air filter can).

View attachment 3013001
Thanks for posting that up. You are always very helpful with your comments and tips, Kernal. You make great contributions to this board.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom