Air box modification? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First time I’ve run into this modification. Is anyone running it? Has a cap that I’ve securely fastened to close it.

74726511-5209-4700-AAC0-620AF1768CB0.jpeg

BC4BF6B6-5B0F-4D1A-BD80-5E43720E4E04.jpeg

Why?

I remember this from the old Tacoma days too! Never seen it on a 100 series that I can recall, but here’s a whole bunch of discussion:

4Runners too. What was the point of that anyway?

Ha that’s funny. The guy I bought it from was a big Toyota guy, had a nice 70 series in the garage! But yes, had two Tacoma’s in the driveway too. He showed this “mod” to me and as a LC person I was immediately confused 🧐

I’ve owned plenty of Land Cruisers and have been an enthusiast since about 2012, but I’ve never seen this. He said it gave it more growl and a little more take off 🤔

Either way I have a nice 2000 Cruiser and he was a nice guy so no harm no foul. I’ll just keep the twist on cap nice and tight.

So power increases pulling hot air from the bay instead of cool air from the fender? Sounds legit. I think the increased noise might be creating a placebo effect.

I did that to my Lexus for intake noise, but to keep the hot air out I fastened an unrolled inner tube all across that hole.

Super ghetto, yeah, but I got the car for dirt cheap and it sounds fantastic when I give it some gas.

I screwed the cap on and don’t intend taking it off. Also has brass heater hose replacements. I’m going to swap those out for Toyota OEM plastic.

2000 and it’s white. Looks sharp. Paint needs waxing and buffing. Came with a TJM front bumper. Had Pioneer head unit installed today.
image.jpg

I screwed the cap on and don’t intend taking it off. Also has brass heater hose replacements. I’m going to swap those out for Toyota OEM plastic.

2000 and it’s white. Looks sharp. Paint needs waxing and buffing. Came with a TJM front bumper. Had Pioneer head unit installed today.View attachment 2420168
Looks clean!

2000 and it’s white. Looks sharp. Paint needs waxing and buffing. Came with a TJM front bumper. Had Pioneer head unit installed today.View attachment 2420168
why would you swap to oem plastic?

It's not a mod, it's sucking in hot under hood air, instead of cold air from outside. All it does is allow you to maybe hear some intake noise, if it even does that. There is no gain in performance.

The airbox mod I am looking to do has nothing to do with performance or sound. While inspecting the business side of my airfilter I found an airbox lined with grass and about 50 acorns, as well as some nibbled air filter pleats. I suspect our small population of incredibly cute chipmunks may be involved.
Wondering where a good place to put a piece of hardware cloth or some other type of screen.

The airbox mod I am looking to do has nothing to do with performance or sound. While inspecting the business side of my airfilter I found an airbox lined with grass and about 50 acorns, as well as some nibbled air filter pleats. I suspect our small population of incredibly cute chipmunks may be involved.
Wondering where a good place to put a piece of hardware cloth or some other type of screen.

I had that problem a couple of years ago. I simply cut a piece of hardware cloth slightly larger than the entry to the air box and pushed it in blocking the entry to the air box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom