Aftermarket Stereo Install...With a Twist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched through the seemingly endless threads involving aftermarket stereo installs, but none seem to have the answer(s) I'm looking for...

My specific install involves replacing a previously-installed aftermarket stereo that also had a ceiling-mounted aftermarket DVD system. I figured I've done enough stereo installs to tackle this one, but in order to get the DVD system networked with the head unit, the PO used a Parrot, an A/V switching unit, and some other top-of-the-line-circa 2002 gadgets. The result: the factory wiring has been absolutely spliced to hell. What I'm hoping this community can provide me with is the EWD that covers the '99 model year - the wiring got changed in '03, thus rendering the '04 EWD that we all have, useless. My thought is that with the proper EWD, I can simply cut out all the aftermarket wiring and install my new unit (Alpine iLX-107).

If you all have any other suggestions, I'd definitely be open to them!

Probably going to need a few more details. Pics will help too. Especially of the DVD system and A/v switch thing.

I think the Parrot piece is for Bluetooth/phone only, which your new headunit does via carplay so I don't think it will be needed. Are you keeping the factory amp or has it already been bypassed? what is the ideal plan?

looks like the ilx-107 has an A/V input, just need to buy an additional cord. I think that would work for your audio portion of the DVD.
upload_2018-9-8_8-4-36.png

Probably going to need a few more details. Pics will help too. Especially of the DVD system and A/v switch thing.

I think the Parrot piece is for Bluetooth/phone only, which your new headunit does via carplay so I don't think it will be needed. Are you keeping the factory amp or has it already been bypassed? what is the ideal plan?

looks like the ilx-107 has an A/V input, just need to buy an additional cord. I think that would work for your audio portion of the DVD.
View attachment 1784393

I ripped out the Parrot, A/V switch, and the ceiling-mounted DVD player so all that's left is wiring - in hindsight, I really should have reached out for help as soon as I started this project. The switch was mounted in the factory amp location along with a matching Rockford Fosgate amp. My plan is simply to install my iLX-107 along with a new amp (since the factory one was tossed by PO), which I plan on being the Alpine MRV-V500. No plans for any DVD playback capability whatsoever.

Let me know if you need different angles, more detail, etc.

IMG_1703.jpg
IMG_1704.jpg
IMG_1705.jpg
IMG_1706.jpg

Couple more photos:

IMG_1707.jpg
IMG_1708.jpg
IMG_1709.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the middle of a complete stereo system R/R on my 01 LX and i have the EWD for that, but I'm not sure if that helps you or not... ? Maybe those are different as well. Have a particular question?

I've searched through the seemingly endless threads involving aftermarket stereo installs, but none seem to have the answer(s) I'm looking for...

My specific install involves replacing a previously-installed aftermarket stereo that also had a ceiling-mounted aftermarket DVD system. I figured I've done enough stereo installs to tackle this one, but in order to get the DVD system networked with the head unit, the PO used a Parrot, an A/V switching unit, and some other top-of-the-line-circa 2002 gadgets. The result: the factory wiring has been absolutely spliced to hell. What I'm hoping this community can provide me with is the EWD that covers the '99 model year - the wiring got changed in '03, thus rendering the '04 EWD that we all have, useless. My thought is that with the proper EWD, I can simply cut out all the aftermarket wiring and install my new unit (Alpine iLX-107).

If you all have any other suggestions, I'd definitely be open to them!
I don't understand exactly what your question is other than wanting a manual?

If I was attacking this one and had no diagrams I would first try to tone the wires to find all of the speakers and then use a meter to try to find the voltage supplies and go from there.
if you are not using the DVD any way and I presume you mean front or back DVD then that wiring should not really matter here aside from capping any hot wire that you will not need.

What am I missing?

Have the Alpine iLX-107 in a 2000 4R, I hate this head unit because of the LAME volume control. You have to take your eyes off the road to find the up / down controls for volume. Holding the down button mutes it vs turning it down.

Would NOT recommend.

Not to mention, they've promised firmware updates and there have been ZERO.

You can get access to the EWD via http://techinfo.toyota.com for 2 days for $20. eBay regularly has these printed version available for less than $20.

Last edited:
Have the Alpine iLX-107 in a 2000 4R, I hate this head unit because of the LAME volume control. You have to take your eyes off the road to find the up / down controls for volume. Holding the down button mutes it vs turning it down.

Would NOT recommend.

You can get access to the EWD via http://techinfo.toyota.com for 2 days for $20. eBay regularly has these printed version available for less than $20.

Yup. This is why I avoided the alpine

I am in the middle of a complete stereo system R/R on my 01 LX and i have the EWD for that, but I'm not sure if that helps you or not... ? Maybe those are different as well. Have a particular question?

Where'd you find the EWD for you '01? I bought the Bishko FSM for my year but can't find the EWD...

I don't understand exactly what your question is other than wanting a manual?

If I was attacking this one and had no diagrams I would first try to tone the wires to find all of the speakers and then use a meter to try to find the voltage supplies and go from there.
if you are not using the DVD any way and I presume you mean front or back DVD then that wiring should not really matter here aside from capping any hot wire that you will not need.

What am I missing?

You've hit it dead on - my hope is that someone can provide with the EWD, that way I can go in and gut all the aftermarket trash the PO previously installed. I've searched for the EWD online, but can't find it...

Would NOT recommend.

Bummer that yourself & @Pyrenees aren't in-love w/iLX - all the reviews I read online have been excellent. I might just have to use that link to get at the EWD for two days - appreciate that!

yep. that's a mess alright. I'd offer to help in person, but looks like we are about 2000 miles apart.

I have a similar alpine amp. It is running my front speakers and sub. I am running the rear speakers off the head unit.

is the amp for front and rear speakers? or are you adding a non-factory sub?

Plan on configuring the system like yours.

Check this out for wire colors: Stereo Wiring: Land Cruiser / LX 470 (1998-02)

notice the ignition wire is under the seat by the amp. The PO must have run a wire down there already or somewhere else. keep that in mind when gutting the rest of the unneeded wiring.

You got this man. Just break this down into 2 projects. Get the head unit in and running the rear speakers first. Then work on the amp, etc...

From under the seat area to the head unit you will need to run 2 sets of RCA cables, ignition wire, amp remote wire and 2 speaker wires for the rears. it looks like some of that is there already unless you plan on starting all over.

Alpine offers a steering wheel remote control (that can really be mounted anywhere) if you do find you don't like the volume controls. I have a Pioneer and their generic wireless remote mounted by my center console. I use that for volume more than the actual head unit.

good luck and cheers!

Check this out for wire colors: Stereo Wiring: Land Cruiser / LX 470 (1998-02)

notice the ignition wire is under the seat by the amp. The PO must have run a wire down there already or somewhere else. keep that in mind when gutting the rest of the unneeded wiring.

You got this man. Just break this down into 2 projects. Get the head unit in and running the rear speakers first. Then work on the amp, etc...

From under the seat area to the head unit you will need to run 2 sets of RCA cables, ignition wire, amp remote wire and 2 speaker wires for the rears. it looks like some of that is there already unless you plan on starting all over.

Alpine offers a steering wheel remote control (that can really be mounted anywhere) if you do find you don't like the volume controls. I have a Pioneer and their generic wireless remote mounted by my center console. I use that for volume more than the actual head unit.

good luck and cheers!

This is great, thanks so much! I'm not seeing that ignition wire you mentioned on any of the images on that page you linked....

they refer to it as "accessory". I believe it is gray, but a test light or meter would confirm it.

here is another link. They refer to that gray wire as "switched +12v". All accurate descriptions. it would go to your red wire on the alpine harness.

1999 Toyota Landcruiser Car Stereo Wire Colors and Locations

hope that helps.

Got all the aftermarket wiring gutted (thanks @Pyrenees for help in tracking down the EWD):

IMG_1715.HEIC.jpeg

The problem now is that it appears the loom from the stock amp to the stock radio was gutted when the PO installed his aftermarket setup - the harness he installed (and that's visible in the earlier photos I posted) was a hack job, so I cut it out. I traced the loom from the amp - group of wires with connector still attached in above photo - and found it's sourced at the junction box under the passenger side kick panel. My thought is now that I can just splice my HU harness into the loom with the connector since it has the same wiring as the loom from the amp to the radio. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom