Aftermarket Roof Rack Light Bar Mounting - Wind Noise/Drag Experience With Different Mounting Locations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For any mudder with a light bar (light bars only, not pods or other auxiliary lights) mounted on his/her roof rack. . .

Where is your bar mounted? Is it on the front face of the rack profile, under the front of the rack, or on top of the rack? Have you tried different locations to mitigate wind noise, and if so, what has been your best result?

Gravity Pro6, in front of my roof rack. Noisy as hell. Figured on top of the rack would be even worse.

There are just SO MANY downsides to a big bar up top.

I have a FJC, but had it right up above the windshield. I mitigated the noise using door edge guard on some of the fins...still was some though.

Its just so much damned light. Out in the middle of nowhere you just see a big bright haze in front of you as it "lights up the air".
If you choose to use it on a backroad out there all by yourself, yes it will light some stuff up, but any road sign comes right back into your eyes since the source is mounted on your forehead.

Then routing wires up top can be sort of an undo PITA.

If you can, keep it below the headlights. You'll have much more useable light.... Plus they look stupid as heck unless nicely integrated into a roof rack fairing.

For any mudder with a light bar (light bars only, not pods or other auxiliary lights) mounted on his/her roof rack. . .

Where is your bar mounted? Is it on the front face of the rack profile, under the front of the rack, or on top of the rack? Have you tried different locations to mitigate wind noise, and if so, what has been your best result?
Single row light bar by visionX. The bar sits behind the sun roof. No reflection off the hood and no wind noise I can hear and I’m very picky when it come to wind noise.
Others have done almost the same with great results. Search and you shall find.

D0E779BA-3D27-4641-9000-AA34E0BA4001.jpeg

A6A48DD5-B884-4BC8-904E-D98A3369B85C.jpeg

D398B793-3B42-4096-A691-14B0AAE63BCC.jpeg

5A0C38F9-C87A-4E82-AA75-3D266D53A6D6.jpeg

Single row light bar by visionX. The bar sits behind the sun roof. No reflection off the hood and no wind noise I can hear and I’m very picky when it come to wind noise.
Others have done almost the same with great results. Search and you shall find.

View attachment 2262152

View attachment 2262153

View attachment 2262154

View attachment 2262155

Thanks. I’ve seen that thread, but my application is with an aftermarket rack (my bad...didn’t include that in the thread title but have updated it).

It looks like we have the same light bar, although mine is a non-standard 43”. I currently have it mounted under the rack.
4E208BC1-4B62-43F8-B187-78B6E60542E1.jpeg
2C627322-9019-4BDE-8AB3-E6C2C9AE2E07.jpeg

I have the Gamaviti expo ++ with the light I ordered from them with the rack. I have the normal wind deflector mounted with the supplied hardware. I just flip it up if I need the light. Had some noise but added a strip of weather stripping across the bottom and now no more noise than I got before with the sunroof open. Can drive 60 with the sunroof open and still have a normal conversation.

Vertical Bulb Trim Seal Bulb Height: 45/64" Edge thickness: 1/64" to 9/64" ( 5 Feet ) Amazon product ASIN B01EAMHGRS
24C3F0D6-86B8-4FCA-B21F-5329C1614232.jpeg

Can you post more pictures of your gamaviti rack and lights? How do you like the rack? Is there plenty of accessories for it? Have pictures from further away? Thanks

Can I ask how you ran your wiring from the light? Down the windshield (tucked behind the trim) into the engine bay or something else?

Yes, down the windshield trim (I did this on each side and mounted a grounding block on the rack with one wire connected back to a ground point next to the fuse box). I drilled small holes in the windshield trim and secured the cable with cable ties. The cable is 14 gauge, 5 conductor EPR Tray Cable.

IMG_0367.JPG

Can you post more pictures of your gamaviti rack and lights? How do you like the rack? Is there plenty of accessories for it? Have pictures from further away? Thanks
sorry, didn’t see this post. I just ran the wire under the trim along the windshield. Absolutely love the rack. No issues mounting items on it. Handles the RTT with no issue and is made with 1” tubing so most hooks and straps fit easily. I also like that I can still use my sunroof
12251821-3D7A-44C9-8068-9CE9D877ACD4.jpeg
2639D14D-84B8-49BE-8FD6-6CA6DD705AE3.jpeg
D6696EAF-BC00-4E4A-96EF-7AB8FDDC451C.jpeg

Last edited:
There is noise especially with cross wind (that’s expected with any roof rack). The noise is barely noticeable. The light bar is a 40 inch.

Thanks, I'm still deciding if a light bar on the roof is necessary if there is a good amount of lighting on the front end of the vehicle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom