afe intake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got the Tundra TRD version - needs to be from a 2014+, and it works with the Safari Snorkel......

E

its just hard to imagine +21 HP / +25 lbs. x ft. Torque on a normally aspirated motor from just an intake unless the stock box is just choking the motor.

I think it added a bit - but I really didn't it for the extra "snarl" and a bit quicker feeling throttle response... I think having it tied into the "Dorkel" does help some as it's cooler air in theory....

all the gains in HP or noise are dwarfed by the headers & Exhaust...

"Up to" and "maximum" seem to be the key words in their claim, legally allowing a gain of zero (or even a loss).

Can't imagine Toyota left that much power on the table. For those kinds of gains, you need the TRD starter button.

I feel like I'm always "that guy" that just wants to talk about how things aren't good. But...

I've built quite a few motors from the bottom up, and your stock intake delivers far more air than your intake manifold can handle.
It's kinda the same with exhaust. I recommend reading into lobe angle, duration, lift, and other key aspects of cams.

I dyno everything I do, and I've never seen an improvement of most things out there. Especially ones that keep your truck street legal outside of a blower.

Edit: if wanting better fine dust protection, the only thing I've ever seen to be better than a stock paper filter was the Donaldson Power core filters. While you'll still see no additional power, Volant offers an intake that uses the Donaldson. Really, I wouldn't care who makes the intake, as long as the media is better than what came with the truck.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm always "that guy" that just wants to talk about how things aren't good. But...

I've built quite a few motors from the bottom up, and your stock intake delivers far more air than your intake manifold can handle.
It's kinda the same with exhaust. I recommend reading into lobe angle, duration, lift, and other key aspects of cams.

I dyno everything I do, and I've never seen an improvement of most things out there. Especially ones that keep your truck street legal outside of a blower.

Edit: if wanting better fine dust protection, the only thing I've ever seen to be better than a stock paper filter was the Donaldson Power core filters. While you'll still see no additional power, Volant offers an intake that uses the Donaldson. Really, I wouldn't care who makes the intake, as long as the media is better than what came with the truck.

ye, 20hp seems like a big call, i do have an xede piggy back ecu to go in it later, already has 3 inch manta catback exhaust and will ne fitting doug thorley headers and hiflow cats later to

I think it added a bit - but I really didn't it for the extra "snarl" and a bit quicker feeling throttle response... I think having it tied into the "Dorkel" does help some as it's cooler air in theory....

all the gains in HP or noise are dwarfed by the headers & Exhaust...
dont suppose you could inbox me some pics and if possible the part number mate? i work at a dealership here in aus so should be able to get it through here.

I'll post pics and the part #'s up this evening - had to move stuff off my work laptop.

E

The only thing a cold air intake will buy you is more noise which can certainly make things sound more powerful. Unfortunately, the performance gains aren't any more real than the fake engine noise that some Ford trucks play over the stereo system. :) The increased noise is from the deletion of the stock intake baffles.

But ... the 200 already comes standard with a cold air intake, and a filter and duct system that doesn't even pull any measurable restriction (according to my filterminder gauge).

So ... what am I missing?

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor8_07FEB13_zps15b4c87d.jpg

o_O

just wanna squeeze bit more out of it, have a piggyback ecu waiting to go in to but wouldnt mind the headers first if my local exhaust place can convert tjem to rhd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom