Advise regarding coolant color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SonoranCruisers

GOLD Star
Threads
Hello,

Quick backstory- picked up 96 LX450 with head gasket redone 20k miles ago. Baselining engine (new radiator, h20 pump, hoses, vacuum lines, heater lines, basically everything Wits End sold for 96 80series) so I know where I’m at.
Anyhow old coolant in engine is green, I know it should be red. I’ve drained the block, replaced water pump, thermostat and all hoses.

Am I good to use RED now, should I fill with water drive a day then drain again or just throw green in and call it.......?

🍻

:deadhorse: and :worms:...

This has been talked about and debated forever on the forum. For convenience and simplicity, stick with green. No harm in doing so as long as its changed on schedule. I think that's every 2 years. If you want to do a flush to clean out any gunk, by all means, do so. But don't sweat the coolant type. Just stick with green and you'll be good.

Green

:deadhorse: and :worms:...

This has been talked about and debated forever on the forum. For convenience and simplicity, stick with green. No harm in doing so as long as its changed on schedule. I think that's every 2 years. If you want to do a flush to clean out any gunk, by all means, do so. But don't sweat the coolant type. Just stick with green and you'll be good.
😂🤣😂 I know.... I just want some gratification to stay GREEN 🤣😂🤣

Last edited:
Flush thoroughly.

You've got it all drained anyway, give it a good flush with distilled water and drive it a couple days and repeat once or twice till it comes out clean (or nearly clear).
Be sure to use an OAT based coolant.
OAT coolants have no Silicates. Toyota's do not like silicates in the coolant, they eat the water pump seals. Learned this the hard (expensive) way.

I changed mine from old dirty diluted green to pink. I installee new radiator, hoses, and Tstat and flushed and back flushed the block with hose water, then drove with distilled water plus a cleaner for a week. Then flushed again with hose water, then drove a week with distilled. Then the paranoid me told me to flush again with distilled, then filled with pink. It runs pretty consistent now, 186 on road with AC on, consistent 190 with AC driving on the beach. It's been about 2 months and no issues.

I don’t know about you guys but at the local auto parts store here, all the coolants are either specified for European market, US market, or Asian market and they’re all different colors. The Asian market brands specifically identify Toyota and its red. I was going to go with green but realized it’s just coolant. Got toyota red and never thought about it again until now. The argument of being stuck out in the boonies without a red option seems weak with all the different options outside of just Toyota Red. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom