Advise on Lift / Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Iceaxe

I am my rig's nemesis.
Threads
I have a 2" TJM suspension kit with medium duty springs / gold KGS shocks with 35" tires. The rig is completely flat with no stinkbug when not loaded, however appears lower than other rigs with a 2" lift. I'm thinking perhaps it is because of the ARB front bumper / Slee rear bumper + armor, rack. I tend to see sag of my rig (particularly in the rear) when loaded down with the gas cans and gear... Thus, I'm thinking I'm coming up short on the runs in Moab. Attached is an example of the clearance issue...

Looking for better articulation and more clearance on more technical trails but don't want to sacrifice stability at high highway speeds (e.g. stable 90 mph cruising). I'm open to lift kit, tire changes, whatever... Any thoughts / suggestions for economic options?

IMG_1025.jpg

If you are satisfied with the height, you can simply get stouter springs to support the extra weight: Slee - Toyota 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser Suspension
1991-97 Toyota Land Cruiser /
LX450 - Old Man Emu
Heavy Load 2.5" kit

If you want to support the extra weight and have greater clearance, check out the Slee 4 inch lift.
Slee - Toyota 80 Series Toyota Land Cruiser Suspension
1991-97 Toyota Land Cruiser / LX450
Slee 4" Lift - Bolt In Kit

MANY people on Mud have this lift kit installed. It comes with everything you need to put your truck in precise correction for the lift.

I was, still am in the same boat as you. I would do a Slee 4" if you have the money. Or wait a bit and see how the Slinky and Icon lifts unfold.

Yes I am now the reseller for LANDTANK but LONG before that happened I installed his 4" lift in my own truck and I could not be happier with it. I have the SuperCharger so there are times I do "spirited driving". Chose LANDTANK because the material was always THE most stout on the market and because he is the only one that uses OEM rubber bushings. IH8POLY and I've never been shy about that. My truck, and other installations ive assisted on, have been very smooth and positive feeling especially at speed. Zero driveline vibrations from day one and I never have to worry about gawd awful squeeking nor annoying bushing failure. I went with Slee 4" springs on my installation and am totally happy with that decision. As @ewillis said when he was in my truck, "it drives like a race car".

Thanks for the input guys... That price point is awful... And I'm a major fan of Slee products...

Yes I am now the reseller for LANDTANK but LONG before that happened I installed his 4" lift in my own truck and I could not be happier with it. I have the SuperCharger so there are times I do "spirited driving". Chose LANDTANK because the material was always THE most stout on the market and because he is the only one that uses OEM rubber bushings. IH8POLY and I've never been shy about that. My truck, and other installations ive assisted on, have been very smooth and positive feeling especially at speed. Zero driveline vibrations from day one and I never have to worry about gawd awful squeeking nor annoying bushing failure. I went with Slee 4" springs on my installation and am totally happy with that decision. As @ewillis said when he was in my truck, "it drives like a race car".

The supercharger makes an 80 shockingly quick (for an 80). The difference in quality of ride with your truck and @Qball when compared to mine is enough for me to begin exploring other options.

So. In case you'll be running a few of the slightly more challenging slickrock trails in Moab: have you guys ever considered NOT weighing down your Cruiser with extra 15 gallons of fuel, and perhaps leave the extra 10 gallons of water at the motel or back at SlickRock, leave the camping supplies back at camp, empty out the fridge 'cause you really don't need the beer on the trail (right??)... do you really need to schlepp all of your life's possessions across Hell's Revenge? Well. If you insist, keep all of that on the truck, it'll save lives, after all; busload of nuns, and all that. Or pretend it'll "keep the wife happy". Fine.

But for crying out loud, take the trash-a-roo off when you're running Poison Spider or Golden Spike.
Trust me, it'll make the truck run the trail like buttah...

Last edited:
It looked like I had a ton of extra weight, but the gas cans were empty, the trasharoo was empty, and the gear in the back amounted to about 50 #.... I think the point is well taken, but doubtful it would have made that big of a difference.

The supercharger makes an 80 shockingly quick (for an 80). The difference in quality of ride with your truck and @Qball when compared to mine is enough for me to begin exploring other options.

image.jpeg

You should get on the ICON suspension group buy. I know it's a lot of money, but man it'd be sweet! That said, my set up is an old Frankies Off Road 4" with slee springs. Pretty much akin to the Slee 4" system. I like it very much and I rip the crap out of it (supercharged) too. If i had those 2.5 shocks, life would be smooth.

Speaking of the FOR 4" springs back in the day. It was a great design & was a dual rate coil with the top 5 or so coils stacked or fully compressed & then a stronger rate underneath. Dual rate is the best of both worlds. Don't get @Nay started... but he is right on when it came to suspension stuff. I read alot of old threads and @Nay was one of the true pioneers of the 80 series.
The Slinky, ICON & the OME stock height springs all have a dual rate coil design.
Go dual rate.

Thanks for the input guys... That price point is awful... And I'm a major fan of Slee products...

I had the IPOR 3.5 inch lift for quite a while. I moved to the stouter Slee 4 inch lift when I added weight. The price is only awful when you are paying it. Afterwards, you are glad you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom