Adding a Rear Seatbelt to a 71? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 71 never came with a rear seatbelt, but the 74 did. I'd like to know if the frame of the 71 lines up with where the rear seatbelt would be like the 74 does (and how it connects and all that jazz). Can anyone confirm that is definitely does it does not? Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks!

I did this in my 77 when I added a 3rd row. I bought a full set of seatbelts from a wrecked 77 off Yahoo Auctions Japan.

The 77 was made with an option for rear seats in one variation (I think the Prado). Mine did not come with factory seatbelts in the very back, like yours. There were a few holes for seatbelts. But it was like the factory stopped halfway. Holes with no threads, missing holes, no holes. Very strange.

I ended up customizing and heavily overbuilding for safety. Here's some photos.

Factory seatbelt was supposed to go here. Just a hole with no threads and no access to the backside. I didn't want to use a rivnut on a safety component, so I scrapped this location.

IMG_7786.jpeg

I ended up installing the seatbelt in the corner and bending a wrench to fit back in there to torque it down.

IMG_7793.jpeg

The LH side at the bottom mounted right in like it was made for it. Threads and all. The RH side did not. I had to fabricate there at the bottom.

IMG_7804.jpeg

IMG_7803.jpeg

IMG_7809.jpeg

Last edited:
This is really cool. Thanks for the detailed response. How did you fasten the nut on the top left? I tdoesn't look like there's any access from the other side for a nut...

I was thinking I'd just do lap belts, but after looking at your setup, shoulder belts don't look that much harder. Was the spot for the seatbelt reel already there (last picture)?

And finally, what seatbelts did you use? Just the same ones as the middle seats?

Thanks a heap!

How did you fasten the nut on the top left? I tdoesn't look like there's any access from the other side for a nut...
Please see the second picture where it shows exactly how I did this with a bent wrench.

Was the spot for the seatbelt reel already there (last picture)?
Yes and no. Per my post: "The LH side at the bottom mounted right in like it was made for it. Threads and all. The RH side did not. I had to fabricate there at the bottom."

And finally, what seatbelts did you use? Just the same ones as the middle seats?
"I bought a full set of seatbelts from a wrecked 77 off Yahoo Auctions Japan." You can use either the middle seat belts or the front seat belts. I believe one is a bit longer than the other. Not sure why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom