Accuracy of mileage range display (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering how accurate the mileage range display is.

On the dashboard electronic display, say it says 70 miles range left. Is this accurate? According to the trip computer I'm averaging 16mpg. Does this mean I have ~4 gallons left?

i've run out of gas (thankfully in my driveway) with 40 miles on that range . . . after I put 1 gallon in the tank, it showed 10 miles. If the light goes off, you should have 4 gallons left. Should . . .

I did a distance to empty test, running the tank to engine stall. I was able to travel 45 additional miles after the counter saying 0.

45 (local) miles at a typical ~11mpg for my modified vehicle, represents 4.09 gallons left after the trip computer says 0.

With 4.09 gallons reserve:
Best case for a stock vehicle on the highway @18mpg = 72 miles.
Worst case I've had towing/headwind/hill @8mpg = 32 miles.

More details here

Last edited:
Outside of weird circumstances (such as towing or lots of idling without moving) you should see 4ish gallons left when Range = 0. Generally Range = 0 is around when the gas light comes on, not when the tank is empty.

This is covered in the owner’s manual. For the 2020, page 527. “Low fuel warning light: Indicates that remaining fuel is approximately 4.0 gallons or less”.

You can download the owner’s manual as a PDF from Toyota.com.

That's good to know, thanks everyone. Now I know that at range of 0 miles, there is actually 4 gallons left. I never knew when this 4 gallon remaining started its countdown.

I always go more 30 miles after it hits zero. Typically, for me, there are 1.5 gallons left when I fill up.

That 4 gallons is there to keep the fuel pump cool. You can use that 4 gallons in a wicked severe pinch but not recommended as standard practice.
The pump stays submerged in a module that keeps it surrounded in fuel until the tank is totally out, so it’s not about keeping it cool.

The 4 gallons fits into Toyota’s conservative/safe design strategy, and makes sure you have power on steep climbs even when the tank is low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom