Accelerator cable re-assembly (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 73' with a standard carburetor (not a weber). Somehow my accelerator cable slipped from its assembly. (It wasn't me who did it. That's another story) The steel cable is fraying. I have all the pieces but now I'm trying to assemble it. There are three pieces I'm dealing with; the cable, a housing with a set screw that holds the cable in place, and a metal tube with threads that attaches to the carb. It seems to me that the easiest way to reassemble this would be to get a new cable so that I can slide the cable into the tine hole easier than my current frayed cable. Does anyone have a part number for this cable? I haven't seen a replacement part on any of my usual shopping sites. Also, if anyone has a bush fix using my frayed cable for this problem please let me know. I'm not a mechanic and I'd like to avoid a tow to a garage to fix this if I can because if it happened once it could happen again in the middle of nowhere.

I would twist it back to a reasonable shape and then solder or tin it. I did have a Weber (before I went back to the oem aisin) and this worked for me for a year or so

Get a new cable assy. Mine came from @Downey , works great.
I just sent @Downey a PM about purchasing one of his cables. With his design you can trim the length to fit - no loop in the cable to deal with. I'm putting a '73 bellcrank linkage (which was only used on the '73 models) on my '71 FJ40 because I'll be using a '76 air cleaner - the loop in the stock '71 set-up interferes with the later air cleaner housing. It appears that Toyota continued to use the '72 and earlier cable for the '73 models, which requires the loop.

I just sent @Downey a PM about purchasing one of his cables. With his design you can trim the length to fit - no loop in the cable to deal with. I'm putting a '73 bellcrank linkage (which was only used on the '73 models) on my '71 FJ40 because I'll be using a '76 air cleaner - the loop in the stock '71 set-up interferes with the later air cleaner housing. It appears that Toyota continued to use the '72 and earlier cable for the '73 models, which requires the loop.
I ordered the cable. Any chance you can send me a photo of your assembly on the carb end? I'd like to see the brackets you are using.

I ordered the cable. Any chance you can send me a photo of your assembly on the carb end? I'd like to see the brackets you are using.
I will. But first, does your carburetor and cable linkage use the stock '73 bellcrank assembly?

1571583276848.jpeg

I converted my '71 FJ40's linkage to this set-up to avoid the loop in the stock '71 set-up, which would interfere with the '76 air cleaner I'll be using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom