1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC Not Cycling

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by AppleTech, Aug 12, 2017.

1. AppleTech

AppleTech

So my truck (1996) was low on R134a - it has a slow leak. Just started getting hot from a charge up about 2 -3 years ago so I have put off fixing it.

I started refilling it today and was aiming for 28-35 PSI on the low side per the manual. I was on my way up to 35 around 32 PSI (I was stopping the fill to check intermittently) when all the sudden the AC compressor locked up and the belt spun around. During the fill process, it never clicked off once. I evacuated enough that the AC ran normally (feels good and no lockup) and at 1500RPM I'm seeing upper 20's for PSI on the low side. Not quite where it should be but its blowing cold so I'm not going to fuss with it.

The question I have is shouldn't the compressor be cycling on and off? And shouldn't the overpressure switch be shutting the clutch off when it gets too full? I kept adding because the compressor never cycled. It is old and probably original so I'm considering that I may just need to replace it, but is that overpressure switch internal to the compressor? Also am I wrong in my thinking and approach to troubleshooting?

2. Brandon98

Brandon98

How much refrigerant did you put in? Any chance you slugged the compressor with a hit of liquid 134 instead of gaseous? In all likelyhood, the compressor's seen better days. Get a Denso from Rock Auto, new receiver dryer, and get to work. In addition, your evaporator is probably nasty and the TXV is tired. The evaporator only takes about 2 hours to get in and out. Go with Denso. Avoid Four Seasons. 7 oz of PAG-46 oil, as I recall.

3. kruisinkid

kruisinkid topless dorkel SILVER Star

pressure switch is all the way over by the battery and sight glass. without knowing weight of 134 you probably have to troubleshoot with the sightglass. adding an ounce of oil or 2 prob wouldnt hurt

4. AppleTech

AppleTech

How would one give it liquid R134? I just have the canisters you tap from the local auto parts store going into my gauge set's center line.

5. SUMMIT CRUISERS

SUMMIT CRUISERS SILVER Star

If you turned the can upside down you would get liquid.

6. AppleTech

AppleTech

Ahah so that may be it then - someone had told me to shake the can around and try and get everything out of it but it sounds like that is a bad idea! So really my low PSI reading is correct even though I've got icy AC? Should I try and add some more in without tipping the cans until I get to the correct PSI and then the compressor would actually cycle?

7. SUMMIT CRUISERS

SUMMIT CRUISERS SILVER Star

As far as shaking the cans, most cans I've seen have directions to twist between 12:00 and 3:00. If your AC is icy, sounds like you're good. How cold is it with a temp gauge in the vent? The vent temp needs to read somewhere between 34 and 40 before the compressor shuts off.

8. flintknapper

flintknapper

^^^^^^^^ Expand above