AC issues, can't figure out. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so that's what that is....:doh:
I was looking at condenser replacements and thought "what a weird shape!"

so that's what that is....:doh:
I was looking at condenser replacements and thought "what a weird shape!"

Yes, instead of using a stand alone drier...located elsewhere (like on an 80 series) they put it right on the Condenser with the 100 series and made it to accept a replaceable desiccant bag. You still have to evacuate the system to install one (desiccant bag) but its pretty handy and not hard to get to.

It will look something like this (depending on year model):

desiccant bag LX470.jpg

Well, issue sorta fixed. At least figured out.
The issue was my low pressure valve.
It is faulty, it leaked the freon out and wouldn't let any new freon in.
I'll have to replace it, but right now is stable and not leaking, so I'll leave it as it is until I need to refill again.
Right now AC is freezing cold.

I believe that my condenser fan relay is not working. Can you guys tell me where it is located?

Well, issue sorta fixed. At least figured out.
The issue was my low pressure valve.
It is faulty, it leaked the freon out and wouldn't let any new freon in.
I'll have to replace it, but right now is stable and not leaking, so I'll leave it as it is until I need to refill again.
Right now AC is freezing cold.

I believe that my condenser fan relay is not working. Can you guys tell me where it is located?

IF your condenser fan in not coming on....before you suspect the relay....jump 12vdc directly to the fan and see if it runs.

If it runs then we know the fan is good. The fan comes on (and goes off) at predetermined pressures and unless the system builds pressure (related to temperature) enough to 'call' for the fan, it won't come on even if everything is OK with the relay and wiring.

When troubleshooting fans (and compressors) I like to work my way from the component on back. Its a quicker way to find trouble spots in the 'system'.

IF your condenser fan in not coming on....before you suspect the relay....jump 12vdc directly to the fan and see if it runs.

If it runs then we know the fan is good. The fan comes on (and goes off) at predetermined pressures and unless the system builds pressure (related to temperature) enough to 'call' for the fan, it won't come on even if everything is OK with the relay and wiring.

When troubleshooting fans (and compressors) I like to work my way from the component on back. Its a quicker way to find trouble spots in the 'system'.
Fan is working, I run 12v thru it and worked fine.

Pressure built up to 300psi and fan didn't come up

Fan is working, I run 12v thru it and worked fine.

Pressure built up to 300psi and fan didn't come up

Relay or connections then most likely. Possible issue with trinary switch....but they tend to be reliable.

Relay or connections then most likely. Possible issue with trinary switch....but they tend to be reliable.
Where is the relay located?
Is not on the fuse box on the engine compartment.
All the literature I have is for 2004+, which doesn't have that fan.

Where is the relay located?
Is not on the fuse box on the engine compartment.
All the literature I have is for 2004+, which doesn't have that fan.

Look under the driver side headlight behind the bumper

Well, I think we can all agree that the fan relay was faulty.
16250954599657731745573217370916.jpg

Unfortunately it took the connector with it

16250955133643940077922910780411.jpg

Since I couldn't find that plug anywhere I decided to take the easy route and put an aftermarket relay and socket.
It now blows again...

Well, I think we can all agree that the fan relay was faulty.
View attachment 2718441

Unfortunately it took the connector with it

View attachment 2718443

Since I couldn't find that plug anywhere I decided to take the easy route and put an aftermarket relay and socket.
It now blows again...

Yowza..............THAT is bad. Never seen one like that.

Good job on the fix!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom