AC inverter and outlets in a '93 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I added an AC inverter as well as 3-prong grounded AC plugs to my '93 FZJ80. I also took the opportunity to add a few extra 12V cig lighter plugs.

I mounted a 1000W Vector modified sine wave AC inverter in the forward compartment of my cargo box.

The compartment is here:
Inverter%20in%20here.jpg

Inverter.jpg

The inverter specifies 2-gauge (!!) cable to connect to the battery. Needless to say, running two lengths of #2 cable from the cargo area to the battery was not simple, but it DID fit in the DS door-jam channel and through the firewall grommet.

From there I ran a couple lengths of heavy duty AC cord from the inverter to the center console and shifter console. I wired the cords to two separate covered AC plugs--one on the back of the center console, and one on the PS of the shifter console.

The cig-lighter plugs are West Marine-brand with a water-tight cover.

Console%20rear.jpg

Console%20passenger.jpg

I also tapped into the on/off switch on the inverter, and ran it to a toggle switch in the dash.

Hayes

Sweet. Well done.

What are you running for batteries/alternator? That thing is going to draw around 90 Amps at full blast!

No battery mods yet, but dual batteries are in my future. I don't foresee myself using the full kilowatt anytime soon. Right now I just want to run a laptop and be able to charge talkies, etc. Kind of overbuilt, but I figure I might be happy for the 1000 Watts someday.

No special venting plan, either. The cutout in the cargo box where the power cables enter is right in front of the inverter's cooling fan. It should be able to draw plenty of air through that. If heat becomes an issue, I'll drill some vent holes in the cargo box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom