AC compressor on my 2h converted 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been curious about the AC in my truck since I've had it. The system is intact and unplugged. Power to the button works, the wire connectors on top of the compressor are just not connected, and the drive belt is absent.

First question I have is, my compressor is mounted on the passenger side of the motor, low and adjacent to the injector pump. This is different from just about every other example I've read about where the compressor is mounted on the driver's side, above the alternator. Was the position mine has at some point a factory condition or is this likely just something the PO did and an anomaly? I haven't crawled under the truck to see the mount.

2nd question is whether there's a way to figure out whether the clutch is the original 24v or if it's a 12v unit. The truck was converted to 12v at the time of the transplant, which was done prior to my ownership, but im unsure whether, given the unit was never installed completely, it was actually switched over.

I'm of course curious to get a belt and plug it in, but am of course reluctant to do anything that might damage the unit, or worse, cause a spark.

Thanks

I’ll answer one question:
If 12 volts is applied to the clutch wire and it snaps shut - it’s a 12V clutch. It likely won’t grap if it’s a 24V clutch.
The electromagnet in the clutch is grounded through its chassis to the frame so only a + voltage needs to be applied to its wire.

AC compressor is on Left hand side. All OEM AC brackets bolts in on the left side of the motor. Right side has the fuel filter and the injection pump. Likely custom. Any pics?

So I forgot to snap a picture, but figured out why the compressor is mounted but not connected. Seems as though the custom bracket that was fabricated to mount to the engine cracked and allowed the compressor to rotate. It seems like a reasonable location, just need to pull the bracket and have it re-made.

Is there more than the one m/f wire to connect to get power to it?

Clutch only needs one wire. +.
It’s grounded through its body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom