ABS DTC code 51 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt403

SILVER Star
Threads
hi everyone,

ABS light stayed on after using center diff lock.
removed battery ground, same problem.
removed short pin and jumped E1 and Tc in diagnostics.

code 51- 5 blinks, pause, 1 blink, longer pause. then repeat.

DTC 51 is "ABS pump motor is locked, open in pump motor ground" according to the manual.

tried to reset by pushing on brake pedal 8 times in 3 sec. i don't think i was able to press 8 times in three seconds so i removed the UCU B fuse.

ABS light still on.

WHERE IS THE ABS PUMP MOTOR? IS IT THE SAME AS THE ACTUATOR?

I can't find it in the repair or electrical manual.

thanks for your help

anyone?
please read above

where is the ABS pump motor?

Apparently you and I are the only ones to suffer this issue. I posted the same question a few weeks ago and heard nothing............nada...................crickets.

The pump motor is on the DS front fender, you'll see 4 or 5 brake lines coming from it heading back towards the MC.

From my investigation I know the ground for it is under the DS toe kick panel, you have to remove the dead pedal/foot rest to get the panel off. The ABS brain box is also back there. I read another post outside of Mud that suggested that the pumps shouldn't fail and more than likely it is a wiring issue.............but I continue to struggle without a solution. Until a Mudder comes along with wise and helpful information...................you and I can form a support group of two. If you solve the riddle please let me know...............if I do I will do the same. Good luck

Reviving this very old thread. I have the same issue, so curious to see if anyone has overcome this? Perhaps replacing ABS motor is the only solution?

Think my abs system is still sitting by my workbench. Pretty sure the motor worked fine as it would kick on approaching stop, think it was a bad wheel sensor from the lift install. Anyway, let me know if you need it and I'll send it to you if you pay the way. I have all the wheel sensor wires as well if someone needs them, just don't have the sensors pulled.

Thanks for the offer. I will do some more troubleshooting first to make sure this is the issue. If it’s sure I need this I will PM you. Thanks again

I'm dealing with the same 51 code on my 96 LX450. Any leads on what it was?

I just had the same code pop up. I just finished a front end bearing job so figured it was grease on a front sensor. There was some, but that appears to not be the culprit based on the code. It was very intermittent at first, but steady now. I’ll check the relay when I get a chance.

Is the relay the little grey box/plug in between the pump and the fender well? Damn hard to get to.

It's there a way to test if you have power to the pump? I cleaned the ground connection under the drivers false pedal. No change. Wondering if I should tap the motor and see if that makes a difference. Should this motor be spinning while the truck stops, when it is ignition on? Is it on demand?

I'm not really in the mood to delete the ABS with this one. Maybe my other triple locked 80 eventually.

My relay and ground look fine. I checked the front sensors and those seem to ohm out correctly. Wish there was an easy way to check the actuator, like applying 12v somewhere.

Old thread resurrection as I just got back to troubleshooting my ABS 5-1 code. I shot my wires to the ABS ECM per the EWD. Everything was in spec except for two wires.

ECM Connector A-12, terminal A-15 (gray-red) is supposed to be 12v. I get 7v. This connection appears to go to the Data Link Connector.

ECM Connector A-13, terminal B-6 (blue-white) is supposed to be 12v. I get 1.5v. This connection goes to the ABS actuator through a resistor. So this is my leading suspect.

I'm not smart enough looking at the diagram to figure out how to apply 12v directly to the ABS actuator motor, or if I even should. I don't see what it could hurt at this point. I'm wondering if giving it a jolt will get it working again. Maybe it just froze due to a lack of use? But if no one knows how to apply 12v directly to try to cycle the ABS actuator, I think my next step would be to find a used actuator.

I will tell you I went into checking relays and voltages and it was as simple as changing out the ABS pump assembly. Ended up it was bad.

@jstew0903 Where did you source the pump?
I was lucky enough to have a fellow Mud member send me one. He did an ABS delete and had it on the shelf. He asked for my address and sent it cross country to me. I tried to pay him for the shipping and he refused. He redeemed my faith in decent Americans still being out there.

I would search eBay for one. The part number is on the pump motor. My best friend also had the same error code and he did the same and it fixed his code as well.

Jason

Last edited:
Thanks. Saw that thread. I'll post up in the want ads.

(was hoping someone knew how to brings these back to life, but oh well.)

Thanks. Saw that thread. I'll post up in the want ads.

(was hoping someone knew how to brings these back to life, but oh well.)
Might be able to have someone rebuild the motor. I thought I had seen someone who would do it. I'm sure the brushes inside are just worn out. It's amazing how long things last on these Land Cruisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom