AAL Third Row Delete + Drawers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Folks, wanted to share some innovative products that are popular in the Jeep space and expanding to Toyota / Lexus: storage drawers, 3rd row delete cargo plates, and fridge slide / kitchens by American Adventure Lab (AAL). Based in St. George Utah, AAL is Veteran owned and makes everything in house. Stop by and say hi if you’re in the area; the laser cutting table in particular is a sight to see!

Product wise, I feel there are three key elements which distinguish AAL and made me choose them over competitors for my GX460:
  1. Modularity - All AAL products are built with a standardized mounting / attachment system that allows components to be arranged in different configurations like legos. Changing configurations can be done in minutes.
  2. Fully aluminum construction - Most other systems on the market are composed partially or fully of wood. Aluminum has no concerns with rust, warping, or mold. Relative to wood, aluminum also allows use of thinner structural panels so that a greater percentage of overall product space is available for storage.
  3. No drilling or nutserts
I personally run two AAL products: their third row delete cargo plate and 10” drawers.

Cargo Plate
  1. Steel skeleton for strength that ties into factory bolt holes, zero drilling required
  2. Two fully aluminum surface plates - No rust, warpage, or mold. Easy to wipe clean.
  3. Modular pattern cut into the plate surface makes it easy to attach drawers, fridge slides, or tie down points wherever needed.
  4. Variety of color options are available for powder coating.

1684521580110.png

1684521580156.png

Drawers

AAL offers drawers in several different dimensions. Mine are 11”H x 20.25"W x 35"L externally. This size uses all the space between the rear hatch the 2nd row seat backs, while still allowing the second row to recline a reasonable amount. The Victory4x4 drawers I was considering seemed to not be nearly long enough for our cargo area and leave at least a foot of gap between the drawer backs and 2nd row backs.
  1. Fully Aluminum - No rust, warpage, or mold. Easy to wipe clean.
  2. No Rattles - I have taken these on multi-day trips to Elephant Hill, Lockhart Basin, and White Rim in Moab and they are quiet. (That said, hard objects stored loosely in the drawer will bounce around and rattle. Pack wisely.)
  3. Three adjustable storage panels included with each drawer - Easy organization to fit a variety of gear sizes
  4. Optional locks
  5. Variety of color options are available for powder coating
  6. Modularity - Can be used side by side or stacked vertically on each other
  7. Slides in lock in and out, supporting 250 pounds each
1684521580218.png

1684521580275.png

1684521580342.png

I love this system, but there's always room for improvement. AAL is interested in collecting community feedback to continue making these products even better. I'm going to keep this post updated with that feedback, as well as AAL's perspective.

Base Plate Feedback

1. @ypyun had issues with the hardware provided, which led to having to modify the skeleton pieces underneath. (Comments: The tolerances are tight and getting all the holes aligned was a challenge, but I was able to do so without any modifications. I'll coordinate with ypyun and AAL to hopefully get this taken care of.)
2. Several folks have said they'd like the plate to extend farther into the wing areas behind the rear wheel wells. (Comments: This is something AAL and I discussed during prototyping. Their intention was to ensure the OE end caps (filling that area when 3rd row is still installed) could still be used, but they are open to extending the wings.)

Drawer Feedback

1. A slightly shorter external drawer height (1-2") may still provide ample storage space while better leveling with the folded 2nd row seats for those sleeping inside the car. The lower height would also allow the drawers to be a little bit longer to reduce the gap between drawer back and seat back even further. (Comments: AAL is definitely interested in refining dimensions.)

Some previous discussion about this product here

I'm a big fan of modular designs. They become very adaptable for every situation, from taking everything out for the bit Costco shopping trip, to just needing a draw for a quick overnight camp to a full load-out for overlanding!

Regarding the suggestion for a 1" - 2" drawer: that may be a perfect size drawer for mechanic trail tools, e.g. sockets, drivers, hammer, pliers, screwdrivers, etc. to lay flat on a foam pad with a thin foam pad over to prevent rattling and yet allow for easy tool selection when needed. Can even do one of those cut-out patterns for each tool.

@r2m AAL does have a lot of flexibility with drawer sizes, though some sizes may be considered "custom" and incur additional cost depending on what sizes they have already designed and built in the past. I'm guessing that it would be harder to go shorter than 2ish" external height given the height of the slides.

To clarify, my comment about 1-2" inches was referencing 1-2" shorter than my current drawer height. Not 1-2" total height. I was suggesting that an external drawer height of 9" or 10" might be more optimal for a 460, as opposed to the 11" I have.

@r2m AAL does have a lot of flexibility with drawer sizes, though some sizes may be considered "custom" and incur additional cost depending on what sizes they have already designed and built in the past. I'm guessing that it would be harder to go shorter than 2ish" external height given the height of the slides.

To clarify, my comment about 1-2" inches was referencing 1-2" shorter than my current drawer height. Not 1-2" total height. I was suggesting that an external drawer height of 9" or 10" might be more optimal for a 460, as opposed to the 11" I have.
I’d agree with this. It would be nice to lose the height of the 3rd row, and have the drawers even with the folded second row. Would also be cool to see something hold frontrunner cub packs. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.c...MI3oLl-YyM_wIVhRCtBh2w0gMBEAAYASAAEgLw0vD_BwE

Reactions: r2m
I've heard great things about AAL from the Jeep community. Did they update their designs to include coverage for the wing area? I am looking for a gear plate, Victory 4x4 offers coverage and the front of their plate has a 30 degree ramp rather than being a square edge. I am skeptical of anything Victory 4x4 though given the reviews and people's feedback out on the trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom