A440F - Any expert advice appreciated (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like the AT as well... however,it's draining 20 percent or so of the engine performance that you otherwise would have available with the manual.

Search the party trick on the forum, it's basically slamming the transmission in Park for a few seconds whilst driving 60mph.

I like the AT as well... however,it's draining 20 percent or so of the engine performance that you otherwise would have available with the manual.

Search the party trick on the forum, it's basically slamming the transmission in Park for a few seconds whilst driving 60mph.
Yeah, any classic AT would drain the power considerably... And would make the mpg worse too... However, that's the price I'm willing to pay to get all the benefits of automatic tranny, offroad control especially, if there are no other issues with it. I'm going to turbo my 2H to cover the power loss too... Searched the "party trick", this looks quite barbaric to me :\ I'd rather disassemble and repair the tranny if there are some issues with it...

Yeah, any classic AT would drain the power considerably... And would make the mpg worse too... However, that's the price I'm willing to pay to get all the benefits of automatic tranny, offroad control especially, if there are no other issues with it. I'm going to turbo my 2H to cover the power loss too... Searched the "party trick", this looks quite barbaric to me :\ I'd rather disassemble and repair the tranny if there are some issues with it...
I feel the same yeah.
The reliability of the manual, mo power etc. Sounds great, but having an AT has so many advantages. Plus I love how quick and smooth the a440 shifts.
All subjective preferences at some point.

Party trick wasn't so bad... It just clicks.

I forgot to post this update.
I ended up swapping to an H55F.
When I drained the fluid from the x-fer case, there was red automatic transmission fluid in there.
Obviously my seal between trans and transfer was cooked.
It maybe, just maybe, had an impact on my shifting if a fully filled transmission was pushing fluid out of the transmission.

Thought it was worth a mention in case anyone anyone is limping along an A440F. It’s possible that had I replaced that seal I would have had enough confidence in the A440F to stay in longer.

cheers.

How do you like the 5 speed?
Absolutely love it. The 3FE/H55 makes it feel like a completely different vehicle.
i found the gear ratios to be very low as I was running stock tires. I swapped them for 31x10.5 and like the setup. My bet is that 33s would be a perfect daily driver transmission/tire combo since first gear would give you a little more MPH before switching gears. Many folks with stock or 31x10.5 start in second gear on flat ground. I run stock height suspension and stayed at 31.

Realistically the best thing is that I have full confidence in the transmission. I always feared the A440F having an untimely death on a road trip and it held me back from doing longer adventures.

Glad to see you did the swap and are happy with it. The exact same seal just gave out on mine, and I'm scheduled to have mine go in at the end of March for the H55F swap. I have had the same concerns about my auto trans for a couple years now and its prevented me from taking it out on trips like I want to so it's reassuring to see someone do the exact same thing. Go enjoy it!

I”m driving an 88 FJ62 with an A440F tranny. Total mileage 230k, it’s never towed and any off-roading in its past was very light dirt road stuff. At some point it’ll die and I’ll put in an H55. The trans fluid is new, dropped the pan a year ago, filters clean, kickdown cable replaced and dialed in properly. The fluid level is slightly high vs high hot mark after freeway driving. I have done a ”party trick” once two years ago and once recently.

OK - for the symptom.
- When first starting out it tends to hang in second gear. I do not as a matter of practice warm up the truck.
- It does not seem like there is any slipping
-After a 1/4 mile or so it will shift to third. Since I’ll be at close to 3,000 RPMs it sometimes has a harder than normal shift into third.
- Once it has shifted to third Once, it has no further issues for the day and shifts smoothly at correct shift points
Other than this anomaly the transmission Functions perfectly with the exception of two times in four years where I had a weird squeak/light screech sound in park and neutral. This sound went away after cycling through the gears during driving. I assume that was some muck or grit working it’s way through.

Aany relevant advice on the second to third shift is greatly appreciated (full well knowing that based on mileage it’s near the end of its life and H55s are better) I just did a full sheet metal restoration and paint job so the wife ain’t interested in me spending more $.

thanks and cheers
Where did you get a new kickdown cable from ?

Hi, It’s going out and will get worse..I have 5 of these probably owned a dozen more. May not be what you want to hear but ….

Where did you get a new kickdown cable from ?
If memory serves me correctly it was still available from Toyota. There are two cables, both labled throttle. The one that goes from the throttle body to the gas pedal is no longer available the the throttle kick down was.

If that isn‘t still the case a few vendors offer them(cruiser corps, cruiserparts.netand others) ranging from $80-$120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom