A little parts help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 77 is having some "steering difficulty" in that i have waaay too much slop in the steering. Took it to my local shop and they said the steering box is shot, however, he can't find one for a decent price. I can find a few rebuilds in the $350 range (buyautoparts). 3 questions from someone who doesn't have any experience with this.

1.) is $350 a decent price for a rebuilt steering box?
2.) Is this doable myself with low-intermediate mechanic skills
3.) What other things would I need to buy with the box? Any brackets, mounts, gaskets, etc?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Hi all,

Shotmaster03, what type of steering does your FJ40 have?

Stock manual steering? A power steering upgrade?

The type of steering gear your 40 has will determine how much the repair parts cost.

Regards,

Alan

My truck is almost all original so it still has the manual steering. The shop guy mentioned a power steering upgrade but I don't really want to do that.

Shotmaster, one of the reasons guys do Saginaw power steering conversions is because they get rid of a lot of the middle men in your steering system, steering becomes more direct with fewer moving parts, not to mention much easier. Down side is the cost of doing so.

You can pick up a used core in the classifieds here pretty cheap and have a go at it yourself. You'll also get to learn the wear points on the teeth where the worm gear meets the sector shaft. Then you will be able to tell if the teeth in your OE box are better, the same, or worse.

And if you decide to buy a rebuilt, you'll be able to check the quality of their core as well. I consider that a win-win.

And if all else fails, I have an NOS box listed in the classifieds.

Best

Mark A.

www.marksoffroad.net

Did he take the box apart? There is a way to remove slop by removing shims inside the box. If he didnt even try this i suggest getting a fsm or download one and do it yourself. It's not too difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom