A/c Compressor question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.irontonforge.com
I recently replaced all cooling components on my 97 Fzj8o. I also replace the front crank seal, oil pump gasket, belt tensioners, and belts. All parts were oem.

Now, when I turn on the air conditioner, the compressor makes a clicking/rattling sound (I think its the compressor, not 100% sure)... similar to a bolt bouncing around. Compressor runs fine... but I can't find the source of the noise. The compressor ran fine prior to me replacing parts.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

Try listening to the ac pump with a stethoscope or a long screwdriver/steel rod against your ear.

Check the belt tensioner, did you replace the one for the AC? I would have to assume its something you replaced. Did you remove the ac compressor while doing the other work?

Try listening to the ac pump with a stethoscope or a long screwdriver/steel rod against your ear.

This is a GREAT recommendation for trouble shooting anything under the hood! Sometimes it’s hard to pinpoint the source of a noise, but a auto stethoscope ($2-$3 at HF) will pinpoint it easily, just press the tip against different components and listen! (Please ensure if motor is running to STAY CLEAR OF MOVING PARTS....lol)

Check the belt tensioner, did you replace the one for the AC? I would have to assume its something you replaced. Did you remove the ac compressor while doing the other work?

Yes sir, I replaced the ax tensioner as well. The center bolt didn't want to tighten very well... I didn't do anything to the ac.

Definitely the ac compressor. The rattle starts as soon as the compressor comes one... goes away when it turns off. Kinda strange it happened immediately after I installed a new tensioner and belt... :hmm: hmmm.

This is often the clutch bearing, remove the belt, spin the pulley, check for play. The bearing can be replaced, it's swedged on, so takes some MacGyver. The clutch can be replaced, but it's almost the price of a complete new Denso compressor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom