a better wire wheel?

MrMikeyG

SILVER Star
Are there "better" wire wheels out there, or a form of wire wheel that doesn't shed mini shrapnel so much? It may just be the nature of the beast, but I feel like I need a full buffalo hide suit and face shield when using a wire wheel.

PIP

Last time I bought a wire wheel was probably in the 90's. I remember there was a brand that was top shelf and better than all the others, but it completely escapes me what that was.

I'm curious what you are needing a wire wheel for?

MrMikeyG

SILVER Star
Oh, just random cleaning of old metal crap; Vises, an old hay knife, the stuff everyone has lying around. I know about the really nice 3M flap discs. I've heard good things about Pferd products. I'll cruise the web a bit.

There are also off brand versions of this on amazon for a lot cheaper. Roloc is what 3m calls it
5D8ACE34-34DC-4D66-BC07-D5E8EDF77B1E.jpeg

ntsqd

technerd
^ Those are color coded for grit. Some are good for polishing stuff, others will take every last bit of head gasket off the block's deck w/o disturbing the deck itself.

There are a couple different ways that wire brushes are made. Those with heavy strands that are twisted around each other seem to last longer.

A face shield, safety glasses, and a leather welding bib should be mandatory wire-wheeling PPE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom