97 LX450 project (1 Viewer)

I bought this nice LX450 not running - now I want to put some life into it.

Where should I start? The motor doesn't run - PO said it was knocking before they had it retire.
Oil has no antifreeze or signs of a HG failure, but oil is very dark.
212k miles

The transmission is in Park position but the car acts like it is in Nutural position ( I'm able to roll it )

What concerns me is the fact that the PO wasn't aware of the fact that this is an full time AWD and maybe he towed it on a 2 wheel dolly when it stopped running. So if that's the case, what can he potentially have damaged by towing it on a 2 wheel dolly? transmission? axles?

at this point, I'm figuring out what kind of work it will need to I can start somewhere. Any suggestions?
Thanks here are some pictures ...

photo.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Nice looking rig! First thing to check is if the transfer case is in neutral, or if it is still in high. If its in high and park then they might have buggered up the transfer case.

thanks... Yeah, the T case is in Natural, so is the transmission probably gone?

I figure with a knocking engine try to get it running to drive and make sure tranny is good. I figure it needs replaced anyway. If tranny needs it to you have to figure out how much you want to to put in it.

short answer. - engine is were to start. no pun intended

I finally got it to shift from Park by applying some force to the shifter while shifting. But I noticed the rear tail lights and brake lights not working. Only the flasher/turn signals work.
As far as the engine, still no start- i charged up the battery and even tried to use some starting fluid but the engine just wouldn't crank. Sounds like gas is not reaching the engine so i will check fuel pump tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom