97' LX450 on EBAY....HELP!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If someone were to by my 95 LC which presently has 118K, they would not have to dump any money into it, unless something unforseen happened. Of course, I am the original owner and its been well maintained.

On the other hand, the stories I read here about people buying these trucks used and having to spend lots of money, are not encouraging. My conclusion is that buying a used LC without extensive maintenance records, is a bad idea. Of course, if you have the skills of some of the people who post here and your purchase price is right, then its no big deal.

The only risk regarding this truck in Texas is the cost of the flight and the return journey. There is ample opportunity to check it out and the seller has given you an out that won't get you lines of bad feedback on Ebay.

Dansan said:
On the other hand, the stories I read here about people buying these trucks used and having to spend lots of money, are not encouraging. My conclusion is that buying a used LC without extensive maintenance records, is a bad idea. Of course, if you have the skills of some of the people who post here and your purchase price is right, then its no big deal.
But I'm not sold on that either. A list of PM items done would be helpful, but were they done right, you never know, were they done throughly, you never know. I know of atleast one person who bought a '97 LX450, Lexus certified used, bla bla bla...60K miles, in a month the head gasket went out, I'm sure it probably had all the service history (nothing really ever needing done at 60K miles), on paper a perfect low mileage vehicle, but it still died...

IMO it's always a crap-shoot, but the odds are better than you'll get a good reliable vehicle than you'll get a lemon...just my opinion...

ebay! ebay! ebay!

Don't sweat it bro. Ebay's awesome. Your Lexi looks good to me. I doubt you'll have any trouble with it that couldn't be considered normal maintenance.

Food for thought?

Maybe some of the TX folks can shed some light on this...But rumor has it that Texas vehicles should be looked at with extra caution. Something about it is easier to get a flooded, or damaged vehicle there to keep it's clean title status?

Some UT folks around here have heard that too, one person who works at a local dealer said they crinch at TX vehicles and go over them with a fine tooth comb. I don't know if there is any validity to this. Maybe the vehicle was flooded?

If your under no obligation to purchase once you get there and look it over, then go for it if it looks good.

Good luck either way.
Johnny

WildYoats said:
Food for thought?

Maybe some of the TX folks can shed some light on this...But rumor has it that Texas vehicles should be looked at with extra caution. Something about it is easier to get a flooded, or damaged vehicle there to keep it's clean title status?

Some UT folks around here have heard that too, one person who works at a local dealer said they crinch at TX vehicles and go over them with a fine tooth comb. I don't know if there is any validity to this. Maybe the vehicle was flooded?

If your under no obligation to purchase once you get there and look it over, then go for it if it looks good.

Good luck either way.
Johnny

Never heard it is easier to cover them up here but back 3-4 years ago there was A LOT of flooding all over the state hence the mold problems that followed. This also included vehicles. Lots of cars got flooded and were getting sold "cheap" that weren't such good deals.

Personally looked at a 1999 Chevy PU that was VERY CLEAN and LOOOW miles. They did a great job of cleaning it up but inside the frame rails was packed solid with mud.

As far as Cruisers go, it was important to me that mine hasn't been registered outside of Texas. There is hardly ever salt used on our roads. Mostly sand...and that is only a couple times a year.

After growing up in the North, I thought it was normal for a car 5-10 years old to have rusted through in the fenders. Not down here though...

As far as the flooded cars go....we havn't suffered as wide spread flooding in recent years and I havn't heard anything lately about this being a problem. But still be careful.

The height of the 'flood' aftermath resulted in not being able to get homeowners or renters insurance...at all...there was a freeze on everything. Sure sucked at the time!

I wouldn't worry too much about the rear main and the short block that happened over 50k miles ago. Take it to a trusted mechanic, and see if it has any current potential problems. Also push every button, check everything, I mean everything electrical. I'll bet you find at least one thing not working. It is a used vehicle after all. That doesn't mean don't buy it. Just know what you are buying before you buy it.

Title searches can be scrubbed clean in a few states to not reflect any damages. Carfax reports can't be scrubbed which is why I would NEVER buy a used vehicle without paying for one.

Buck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom