95 Series Prado Exhaust Upgrade Options Canada (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in Alberta. The next upgrade I would like to make is upgrading the restrictive downpipe. I have searched a few forums and elsewhere but still have some questions. My apologies if this is redundant I would appreciate direction elsewhere if my questions have already been answered.

Welding and metalworking are outside of my experience range, so I had attempted instead to find a larger downpipe that would direct bolt on to the existing exhaust, or full exhaust systems. I had intended to get one from Beaudesert Exhaust in Australia, but it seems they will be unable to send one to Canada. They suggest, after testing several different sizes of exhaust, that 2 3/4" is the best for across the board performance.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get either a less restrictive dump pipe that will bolt on to the existing exhaust, or a full turbo back exhaust system in North America? I have seen that PPD performance will ship to North America, however, at the cheap price of their system I am not so trusting in the quality. Especially considering I have heard people cracking the downpipe after an upgrade.

I've got a 3" turbo back PPD exhaust. Had it for 3 years and it's fine.
I appreciate the input. Other reviews i have heard from the ppd is no noticeable gains, whereas other folks with beaudesert or kingbrown most people say there is noticable gains. What is your experience there? How about egt?
Seems odd to me that different 3” exhausts would offer different gains.

Some people have suggested adding a bracket on the downpipe to solidify that section to prevent cracking.

I appreciate the input. Other reviews i have heard from the ppd is no noticeable gains, whereas other folks with beaudesert or kingbrown most people say there is noticable gains. What is your experience there? How about egt?
Seems odd to me that different 3” exhausts would offer different gains.

Some people have suggested adding a bracket on the downpipe to solidify that section to prevent cracking.
It was hard to tell as I did a bunch of mods at the same time. I do remember comparing the opening to the down pipe (turbo end) to the stock one and thinking their wasn't a great deal of difference in the opening. I don't understand how all that stuff works though. My car is heavily modded and I've kinda lost track of what's doing what to be honest lol

It was hard to tell as I did a bunch of mods at the same time. I do remember comparing the opening to the down pipe (turbo end) to the stock one and thinking their wasn't a great deal of difference in the opening. I don't understand how all that stuff works though. My car is heavily modded and I've kinda lost track of what's doing what to be honest lol
Interesting about the minimal opening difference. That would likely explain the no gains, and also not much difference in egt in ppd reviews. I have seen other comparisons and the difference is substantial. From what i have read, the biggest reason to upgrade is to get rid of the restriction of the stock downpipe.

Interesting about the minimal opening difference. That would likely explain the no gains, and also not much difference in egt in ppd reviews. I have seen other comparisons and the difference is substantial. From what i have read, the biggest reason to upgrade is to get rid of the restriction of the stock downpipe.
The downpipe itself is bigger, just the opening to it isn't. Well visually. I didn't measure but side by side, they looked fairly identical. It may not matter though as it the limitation I guess is the exit opening on the turbo? So maybe it's the actual downpipe diameter that counts? I really don't know. Hopefully someone with more exhaust knowledge will chime in.

In saying that though, even with stock exhaust, IME if you wanna get EGTs down, feed it more air or less fuel. And upgrade to a bigger intercooler. The intake temps on the 1KZ-TE are pretty high due to the turbo but also the pipe that goes between the air filter box and the turbo. When your cars warm, pull over, pop the bonnet and touch your hand on it and tlfeel the heat of the pipe and the heat of the air being sucked in from the radiator and blown onto that pipe. It's a rubbish design and why you see the later model 1KD motor, they moved the air box to the other side of the engine bay.

With the turbo I have now, I find between 16-18psi, the EGTs get a bit warm on hills, but when I bump it up to around 24psi, they come down again and of course I get much better power.

I am in Alberta. The next upgrade I would like to make is upgrading the restrictive downpipe. I have searched a few forums and elsewhere but still have some questions. My apologies if this is redundant I would appreciate direction elsewhere if my questions have already been answered.

Welding and metalworking are outside of my experience range, so I had attempted instead to find a larger downpipe that would direct bolt on to the existing exhaust, or full exhaust systems. I had intended to get one from Beaudesert Exhaust in Australia, but it seems they will be unable to send one to Canada. They suggest, after testing several different sizes of exhaust, that 2 3/4" is the best for across the board performance.

I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get either a less restrictive dump pipe that will bolt on to the existing exhaust, or a full turbo back exhaust system in North America? I have seen that PPD performance will ship to North America, however, at the cheap price of their system I am not so trusting in the quality. Especially considering I have heard people cracking the downpipe after an upgrade.
I purchased and installed a PPD performance with the 3” down pipe and I haven’t had any issues thus far.

In saying that though, even with stock exhaust, IME if you wanna get EGTs down, feed it more air or less fuel. And upgrade to a bigger intercooler. The intake temps on the 1KZ-TE are pretty high due to the turbo but also the pipe that goes between the air filter box and the turbo. When your cars warm, pull over, pop the bonnet and touch your hand on it and tlfeel the heat of the pipe and the heat of the air being sucked in from the radiator and blown onto that pipe. It's a rubbish design and why you see the later model 1KD motor, they moved the air box to the other side of the engine bay.

With the turbo I have now, I find between 16-18psi, the EGTs get a bit warm on hills, but when I bump it up to around 24psi, they come down again and of course I get much better power.
Ahh you upgraded your turbo as well. What did you put in? You also had to install a fuel cut defender i imagine. How much more diesel do you use compared to stock with this?

Ahh you upgraded your turbo as well. What did you put in? You also had to install a fuel cut defender i imagine. How much more diesel do you use compared to stock with this?
Stage 1 high flow turbo (CCT), 3 bar map sensor (to bypass fuel cut), Unichip (5 maps) for tune and fuel control. Custom snorkel with a more direct route than stock (straight through the guard). Fuel economy is about the same as before doing all that but more power. I put that down to the stock tune being quite retarded and having to put a lot more boot in the accelerator for reasonable driving performance. I do a lot of hills and highway driving plus a bit of towing. Very rarely stop start traffic driving.

We're a Beaudesert dealer and send systems over your way from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom