94 Starting Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,

Sometimes my 94 doesn't want to start. For instance, I will drive it to work, come out 10 hours later and when I turn the key I get nothing. Pop the hood, shake the battery a little bit and it fires right up. Seems to only happen after I have driven it and let it sit outside. When I go out to pull it out of the garage it fires up as soon as I turn the key. Even if it has been sitting for 2 weeks or so. Battery connections all look clean.

Any advice on where to start? Thanks !

Fusable links? I would suspect wiring if you give the battery a shake and it fires up. Check the grounds and 12v power wiring coming from the battery.

If the engine is not turning over the must likely cause is the starter motor or the ignition switch.

Fusible links or corroded terminals

Hot motor, starter not turning over was an issue with my Camry. Cleaned the starter contacts and plunger in the starter and it never had an issue after that. I cleaned them with emery cloth, they were very dark and electrically corroded. New ones are nice shinny copper, mine looked almost new when done cleaning them.
Try cleaning them or better yet get a rebuild kit and replace the contacts and plunger.
Could be other issue but sounds like a starter issue to me.

Last edited:
Fusable links? I would suspect wiring if you give the battery a shake and it fires up. Check the grounds and 12v power wiring coming from the battery.

Is there a specific ground to check out besides the one just to the side of the battery? The hole where that ground goes did have some rust preventative that may have been fouling it.

Thanks!

When it doesn't start, just tap on the starter, turn the key and don't touch anything else. If it starts, then replace the contacts and plunger. Done. If it doesn't, then go to the other areas mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom