93 security system failing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m no expert here but a few months ago I’ve been experiencing the famous “click” of the starter when turning on my truck. After maybe 7-8 “clicks” she’ll turn over. After rebuilding my starter and getting the same results and finally buying a new starter and experiencing the same “click” I’m not sure what else it could be. I bought a new battery today and no luck.

I’m regards to the security system I think it has something to do with it. When I pull the chip a little up I seem to get a better response from the truck. If I’m not touching the chip I get no “click”

Can I turn this chip into a switch with minimal effort?

Is the security system have anything to do with my “click” that I’m getting?

What else should I look to do before spending big bucks

(The chip thing has been failing. Burnt my spare chip and every so often I’ll get smoke. Scary s***)

I don’t have a picture of the security box but it says toyota on it. Dealership said 530 to remove it. Told them to kick rocks.

1C9BE0FA-ABBB-463B-BD88-7337388810F1.jpeg

8E50A599-63AF-4FDD-8E09-A9F1B9881C57.jpeg

847AC0A3-F554-4301-9B90-CA76834168F7.jpeg

FBE93032-FBC5-4D59-8A17-6D9A73F0C49E.jpeg

Tear it out and install a Viper or Similar. It's 1980s tech!
If it's dealer installed it's about 30 mins to rip it out.

I just did the alarm removal on my 95, was causing a parasitic draw which killed the battery in a few days. There are a few good threads on here with pictures. In basic terms, just start with the brain box and work backwards until all the wires are removed. In the drivers side kick panel there are a couple of connectors that the alarm ties into, take those apart and put the truck side connectors back together. Same thing under the steering column. If I can find the threads I used I'll post them.

Last edited:
My 96 took me a solid 2.5 hours, Then I added some other stuff "while I'm in there" (steering shaft rag joint, Steering shaft seal, CDL Switch, Pin 7 mod) and that added another 2.5 hours.

Start with the electrical connector and work your way back to the brain box. Unplug and replug. If it is aftermarket, it may take longer depending on the installer and how many crimp splices they used and you need to touch up the wires with liquid electrical tape.

I'd allow for a couple of hours, plus time for a calming adult beverage.

Agreed with above, a couple of hours. I also was ripping out all my carpet and had all the seats out so I spent a full day cleaning everything up. I didn't get the LED flash out, just cut it off and left it in the dash for now...CDL switch to come later and didn't want a hole.

Taking the Alarm out does not take hours.
I pulled the seat and worked from Brain Box under there into the dash and had it all back together in 30 mins and this was my 1st time doing it.
Adding time for :beer: turns work into play.

Taking the Alarm out does not take hours.
I pulled the seat and worked from Brain Box under there into the dash and had it all back together in 30 mins and this was my 1st time doing it.
Adding time for :beer: turns work into play.

You're just younger, faster, and better than all of us old guys so PFFFHTTHTHFFF!

SO I’m okay with the security system. I just want that POS chip thing to be out. Can I just rip it out and leave the toyota security box thing in with the system. Or is that not an option?

You're just younger, faster, and better than all of us old guys so PFFFHTTHTHFFF!

I'm Overweight, 35, and most refer to me as slow.
This truck and I have quite a bit in common :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom