93 HDJ81 no headlights, no internal lights, weird electrical issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good afternoon,

Recieved delivery of my 93 HDJ81 a week ago, had a new radio and front speakers installed by a local company. The internal lights are not working but turning them off and on turns the clock off and on and resets it. Yesterday both headlights went out but the fog lights still work. I am hoping it is a relay or something easy and I would love to spend hours pouring through already posted answers but I need this car to drive back to Fort Gordon from DFW (where I am now) in a week, so I need my headlights. I am a certified basic electrician through the army, so I have a decent comprehension on wiring diagrams and using a multimeter.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

I will begin trying to find the problem tomorrow. I am thinking it's one of four things.... a short, a broken wire, a fuse, or a relay. If anyone knows a good wiring diagram or something that helps, that would be amazing. I also plan on installing my PDI intercooler, GTurbo, and gauges. It's going to be a busy week....

I don’t have any good ideas for troubleshooting this issue, sorry to say. But I’ll share some of the docs I’ve been using to look at my HDJ81 wiring.

For more manuals, see the Resources part of the forum or Land Cruiser Factory Service Manuals (FSMs) - https://www.cruisercult.com/factory-service-manuals.

Good luck, please report back with how it goes!

I will begin trying to find the problem tomorrow. I am thinking it's one of four things.... a short, a broken wire, a fuse, or a relay. If anyone knows a good wiring diagram or something that helps, that would be amazing. I also plan on installing my PDI intercooler, GTurbo, and gauges. It's going to be a busy week....

check BOTH / ALL your oil pressure sending unit wires , if the BUTTON Connector one grounds out , and this IS common , i WILL cause your symptopms because its melted

your cluster meter oil gauged in dash and the cluster meter printed circuitry too

your main large BELL sender mechanical WILL have 2 tabs , the round button and a male spade , they can be mixed up easy ........

I have found that the fuse from the Aftermarket HID light kit is out, I put a new fuse in and it popped immediately. This was installed by the previous owner in Japan, I will look for a short when I take off the front end to install the new timing belt, water pump, GTurbo, and PDI intercooler.

This doesn't solve the problems for the internal lights or the clock, but I can tolerate those and work on them after the cross country drive.

check BOTH / ALL your oil pressure sending unit wires , if the BUTTON Connector one grounds out , and this IS common , i WILL cause your symptopms because its melted

your cluster meter oil gauged in dash and the cluster meter printed circuitry too

your main large BELL sender mechanical WILL have 2 tabs , the round button and a male spade , they can be mixed up easy ........
can you bi-pass oil pressure sending unit. Im not sure if everything in in cluster works

why would you want to bypass the oil sending unit >?

did you FIELD test in-place yet per the TOYOTA factory FSM ?

you must do this in ANY oil pressure related issue , u need to rule it out confirm and verify it is GOOD

rule it out , you know ...for good measure :)

if u skip this step ?
lets just say DON'T !

0.0 - Copy.jpg

why would you want to bypass the oil sending unit >?

did you FIELD test in-place yet per the TOYOTA factory FSM ?

you must do this in ANY oil pressure related issue , u need to rule it out confirm and verify it is GOOD

rule it out , you know ...for good measure :)

if u skip this step ?
lets just say DON'T !

My BJ will run well for about 20seconds and then it just dies/stalls. Like it would b out of fuel. I recently installed new tank and fuel filter. Now it wont run. Im trying to rule out oil pressure sending unit /wiring. Thank you for your time.

i am not sure how or if if the dies and stalls issue you now also have is related to the your other cluster meter OIL sender original question ?

BUT ..

you have NOT metioned anything TECH about your Land Cruiser except
: BJ ?

could you please dial in ALL your basic application info below

Year

make

modle

engine family

etc ./...

MODLE ID Code
on the ENGINE BaY data ID plate or DECAL sticker etc.

there is
1 TOPIC i know well for certain that can affect ANY DIESEL Land Cruiser cluster meter in a wide range of ways ...etc ...

Last edited:
i am not sure how or if if the dies and stalls issue you now also have is related to the your other cluster meter OIL sender original question ?

BUT ..

you have NOT metioned anything TECH about your Land Cruiser except
: BJ ?

could you please dial in ALL your basic application info below

Year 1982

make BJ42

modle

engine family 3B

etc ./...jt3bj42 cxc 000 2903

MODLE ID Code
on the ENGINE BaY data ID plate or DECAL sticker etc.

there is
1 TOPIC i know well for certain that can affect ANY DIESEL Land Cruiser cluster meter in a wide range of ways ...etc ...

i do NOT understand any of your reply above because you made it using the same
color INK?

please PM me the particulars , including the MODLE ID code off the engine bay data ID plate

thanks
Matt

Hello,

Radio and alarm installers have a special talent for messing up with grounds and for making splices/cable cuts that leave a lot of copper wire exposed. The combination of messed up grounds and exposed wires making contact creates problems like the one you are experiencing.

There is a procedure in the FSM's Body Electrical section to troubleshoot radio grounds that you may find useful.

In a nutshell: get the FSM. Check for bad grounds. Check for cuts and splices. Remove any unnecessary cables. Repair as necessary.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom