92 FJ80 LS swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
My dad and I recently started on a engine swap on a 92 FJ80. We were in need of more power and more fuel efficiency and the 3fe did not fit that bill. We will be swapping in a 5.3 vortec and 4l60e. The swap started last week but here are some pictures from a couple days of work.

F70173B8-FBA5-48D3-A565-5653C2C4EE2E.jpeg
This is the progress we made on the first day. Took everything out of the engine bay that won’t be getting pulled with the engine, and pulled both drive shafts.

653BCDD5-5A6B-418D-A332-130D8C08D517.jpeg

Removed the motor mounts and dropped the tcase, getting ready to pull the motor out.

C2557CB3-2D75-40B6-B3D5-7A4AD396253C.jpeg

motor is out! We ended here for the day but next time will be cleaning the engine bay of nearly 30 years of leaks and overall use.
We ended up sourcing all of our parts so far from advanced adapters. So far that’s it for the swap.

Nice going! I started mine about a year ago ( jealous of the machinery in the back ground to help)
I started it the other day awesome!!!! Im working on my gauges as we speak, What do you think youll go with for gaugse? Im trying to get my originals to work but am torn between the wiring or a obd2 plug and play mod

Nice going! I started mine about a year ago ( jealous of the machinery in the back ground to help)
I started it the other day awesome!!!! Im working on my gauges as we speak, What do you think youll go with for gaugse? Im trying to get my originals to work but am torn between the wiring or a obd2 plug and play mod
So we are all planning on using the stock gauges as well as an obd2 plug and play. The Speedo is still functional since it goes to the transfer case, temp gauge is also being kept. We will probably end up using an OBD2 gauge to see additional info like intake temp, rpm etc.
We are looking at some smaller tuner-style gauges. The Evolution CTS3 looks pretty good. Has lots of add on capability, WiFi updates, touch screen, even a 0-60 timer. Just overall lots more information. I hope that answers your question and if you know of any other smaller budget systems out there please let us know!

Will do and thank you!
I also looked at that cts3 option
A little Leary because somone had posted it may not read all the sensors 😱 still looking
Thanks again

327A2EE6-9E04-4FE6-ADA9-06B5E4EC2808.jpeg
A8CFB9C1-5480-4211-825F-97C6A2409B20.jpeg
327A2EE6-9E04-4FE6-ADA9-06B5E4EC2808.jpeg
So we did a thing…

Kinda decided for the whole more power idea and picked up the FiTech EFI kit. Comes with a touch screen engine/transmission controller/tuner, gauges, ecu, wiring harness, and more.
So not only does it mean more power, but it comes with a wiring harness and ecu that makes it fully programmable.
The included wiring harness will take a big part out of the labor required for the swap and will also keep it tidy under the engine bay.
This kit is the 500hp variant. They also offer a 750hp kit.

may or may not have got a good enough picture of the engine bay squeaky clean so now it’s just a picture of the cool stuff.

looks like another hour of work and we will have the engine in.

note: even though it’s not shown in the pictures we have already cut the tail shaft and installed the marks 4wd adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom