91 transmission bangs or clangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
Threads
funny thread title.. did not know how to explain.

my 91 80 with the 3fe when I am driving around town and if I am driving quick sometimes when I let of the gas I get an appreciable clang or bang from from the transmission when it unloads into the higher gear for coasting.

overall it's a pretty harsh transmission.

I can recognize the normal sloppy drivetrain this truck has due to the earlier full time fwd, but this just seems odd.

is there any thing to be looking at? solenoids or such?

i have the same problem. Other say to grease all of the joints and it ususally helps but i havent tried it yet.

Typical, unfortunately. Mine has done it since they day it came to the family. Hasn't gotten any worse in all 13 years, so I don't worry. One thing you can try, though, is adjusting your kickdown cable (do a search). Make a UNIVERSE of difference.

The only condolence is the fact that it only happens when there isn't load on the drivetrain...

The driveline slop is probably exasperating the bang.

Sounds like the transmission just needs a good service including an adjustment or replacement of the kickdown cable and a full fluid flush and new filter. There is not a whole lot more you can do. If the problem still exists its likely a valve body problem.

May be the solenoids if it has them. early 3f 80's here were the non electric type.

Does the FJ80 vintage of A440F get the worn output shaft the way the FJ62 trannies do?

The driveline slop is probably exasperating the bang.

Sounds like the transmission just needs a good service including an adjustment or replacement of the kickdown cable and a full fluid flush and new filter. There is not a whole lot more you can do. If the problem still exists its likely a valve body problem.

May be the solenoids if it has them. early 3f 80's here were the non electric type.
never flush the tranny only drain and fill.the tranny does not have a filter,it is a screen.its probably the kickdown cable needs adjusting,i did mine works perfect now
:beer:

never flush the tranny only drain and fill.
:beer:

Never just drain and fill, do Rodney's fluid exchange. Uses the tranny's own pump to flush all the fluid and won't stir up gunk that's been sitting in there for years.

Does the FJ80 vintage of A440F get the worn output shaft the way the FJ62 trannies do?

I know exactly what you're referring to, and I'm 99% sure the answer is no. Simply have not ever seen that issue come up here in the 80's section.

91-92's are just the clunkiest years out there, period. :meh:

I wonder if installing the part time conversion and locking hubs would fix the clunks.
:hmm:

I did put on manual hubs and tried driving with the cdl engaged to feel what it would be like to only be 2wd. there is not much difference. Also doesn't feel nice like normal 2wd vehicles. the truck feels its "normal" in full time 4wd.

thanks all about the kick down cable. I did adjust it once tighter cause it would not kick down while drive and I had to manually shift it lower on hills. maybe I went too far.

anyone have a link to the rodney flush? sounds interesting. cheers bb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom