idle/throttle cable issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its done it since I bought it, it will normally idle at about 1200 and 900 in gear. But if you pull back on the gas peddle it will back down to about 650 in gear and 700 in park. Whats causing the throttle to not come back all the way? The throttle cable seems to still be good. Is there some kind of adjustment to how far the gas peddle comes back?

Any input is greatly appreciated.:beer:

Yes there is an adjustment to it. Search will net you the results you seek. If I can find the page in the FSM I'll let you know what they are as well. I'm sure someone will beat me to the punch.

You may need to adjust the throttle cable as NLXTACY mentioned. If you don't have a FSM yet take a look at the pic, grab two 12mm wrenches and adjust so there is no initial tension on the cable. That should remedy your idle issue if there is a pretension on the cable.

1copy.jpg

If that doesn't work, replace the accelerator cable.
Difference was like day/night . Replacing was a little tricky but not too bad, well worth it.

adjusting it did the trick. thanks guys

You're welcome, glad it was so simple and cheap.

I feel if anyone is not happy with how their truck is running or driving the throttle and tranny cables should be checked for correct rigging before the thought of throwing parts at it enters their head. It is amazing how much either can affect driveability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom