89 FJ62 Whining Noise during Acceleration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
My 89 FJ62 develops a whining noise as the truck speeds up through the gears. This noise is not heard at idle - only during acceleration. Is this a tranny problem?

My 89 FJ 62 has the same whine in 4wd, even though the transmission/transfer case have been rebuilt. Does it still shift okay?Maybe it would be of use to check the ATF fluid level.

Mine did that I finally figured out that the idler shaft in the transfer was worn out.

Usually the main transfer case gear wears the shaft.

It will cause whining and eventually an on/off gear noise. My current 62 is very loud due to this.

8DD9D280-B3D5-481B-95CB-27870CE88A46.jpeg

The longer macnamara gear from cruiser outfitters or valley hybrids can fix that noise.

does it happen only with the AC on? mine would do that but only with the AC on. it was an idler pulley issue
No - A/C doesn’t impact the noise. Acceleration and deceleration is the problem. Does not whine during idle.

My 89 FJ 62 has the same whine in 4wd, even though the transmission/transfer case have been rebuilt. Does it still shift okay?Maybe it would be of use to check the ATF fluid level.
Thanks for the info! I checked the fluid and it is full. On to the next possibility

Usually the main transfer case gear wears the shaft.

It will cause whining and eventually an on/off gear noise. My current 62 is very loud due to this.

View attachment 2944731

The longer macnamara gear from cruiser outfitters or valley hybrids can fix that noise.
Thank you so much! Not the news I wanted to hear but it makes sense. Off to the mechanic for repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom