87 pickup noisy valves (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, Knew guy on the block. I just purchased a 87 pickup, 22r. My valves are noisy. This may be a question that has been hashed around a little. The serv manual calls for them to be checked hot. I have adjusted them twice already. 1st time, I let engine warm up, then set. 2nd I drove back from work, 30 minutes, left running while removing carb, and loostening valve cover screws, and set quickly. Still rattle. I noticed someone stated some of you are setting them cold, with .007 $ .011. which is 1 below book of 8 & 12. Was woundering if any of you had any feedback. Kind of noisy and drives me crazy. This may be a inherent thing, or something else may be going wrong, but I think mine are little noisier than normal. Thanks.

Hey get-er-done2, I am going to see Larry Get Er Done #1 friday night in Atlanta, sold out.

Anyway, is it a constant rattle? Some say the 22r will rattle for 300,000 miles with no problem.

Hey phocus, Larry the cable guy is nuts. you'll be crying for sure lol. Yea, she rattles all the time. Forgot to mention, she has 173k, so thats not too bad. Thanks for the resp. guys. May try to tighten up 1 #er. but thats about it. Maby just put bigger tires to drown her out. Another friend of mine who has one, said the valve reeds may be worn ?? Dont know what that is, but I guess a valve job may be required, oh well, I'll probably just live with it. Runs great otherwise

Two things to check;

Is it FI? If so the injectors are known to get noisy with age and sound somewhat like valve click. Not really an issue, they have been known to click along happily for decades.

The rockers and shafts are known to wear, causing a click. The play in the rockers will waste some oil pressure, but again they are known to click along happily for decades with this "ailment".

if you over tighten the valve cover it will make the valves sound loud. just get the bolts tight enough to make it seal

Thanks for resp. guys, Valve cover is toqured to specks, and I did re-check gap, before installing valve cover back. I did try some gunk treatment, supposidly for this problem, and to clean the engine. Didn't help a bit. So for those of you, thinking about oil additive, didn't work for me, but thats only my 2 cents. I replaced the oil again. Didn't like that stuff in there. Oh well, I'm ok with it now. Just have to live with it, or spend the big $ and buy a tacoma, and that would be crazy because of a little rattle.

Go to Toyota and buy new rocker arm adjusters.
That will make it quiet!
Danny

something that happened with mine i thought it was the same problem as you mentioned my buddy suggestion to check out the timing chain guide or tension i swapped out the timing chain no more noise

I have a really loud wrist pin on the # 4 cyl on my 22re. I thought it was valve racket, but after many adjustments I got the valves to quiet down a bit and the wrist pin knock is still there. I'm told a worn wrist pin can run for a long time too, but it kind of makes me nervouse!

You guys covered it, but just to condense:
1. The tappet adjusters wear after a while and become hard to adjust, and noisy. Cheap fix from the dealer, buy new screw adjusters.
2. The timing chain is not something that can be neglected for XXX,XXX miles. You will destroy the motor. You can check it visually by peering down the front of the motor while you are adjusting your valves.
3. Tightening the cover too tight (or using worn out rubber grommet thingies) will cause rocker noise as they tick the cover
4. Injectors are noisy. NP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom