87 HJ60: Buying Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jomama

Lucideye
Threads
HJ60: Buying Advice?

Hello Diesel Cruiserheads who I am always so envious of :cheers: :beer:

I think I have the opportunity to purchase this rig https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=105824 .... I'm still in shock at checking out Craigslists today and seeing a HJ60 for sale in Anchorage..
Will hopefully see it tonight or tomorrow.

(had a BJ42 get snatched up w/in a day a few weeks ago here..)

This would be my 3rd cruiser. I know what to "look for" on a 60 series I think, and this one sounds clean from my conversation with the seller.
I've done my searches and think I have the basics down on the 2h... It does leak off the manual fuel priming pump.

I searched for various forms of "buying guide" but didnt find anything in the Diesel forum... I read over the first half dozen pages with general questions about the HJ and am seeing the same thing mentioned...

Anything else to look out for on one of these?
Thanks in advance for any input, much appreciated.
J.

Last edited:
the ad is a bit unclear, IMO. does it have 155k since the engine change?
are there compression numbers? a cracked head is a reason to change the head, not usually the engine-any chance to find out why the engine was changed completely?
j

Other than the mechanics rust is probably your biggest killer.

The BIGGEST is the back rear frame.
That is where they rust the most. The back 3rd lower half.
Check the frame good. Check all shock mounts. and inside fame rails.
Try hitting with a hammer. Does it make a good ring? or more of a dull thud?

There will be some rust, but if its already breaking away you will need to address it soon, otherwise it will become a safety issue. The frame is the most important. Body rust is alot easier to fix. If there is major rust be prepared to deal with it, or walk away.

also pull up rear carpets, check all the way up (3-4 feet)
are there holes inside behind the wheel wheels?
is it solid metal? if you hit it with a screw driver does it go through?

Others key areas to check:
rockers
bottom of doors
around roof rack
rear hatch (top half) around glass
bottom hatch along bottom pinch welds
basically all pinch welds :)
rear wheel wells

Cheers,
Nick

Its actually comprised of 3 different vehicles... Body and Frame are out of a New Mexico FJ60, and the seller says are extremely clean, and were refinished when they started the project.... Axles & drivetrain are out of the original HJ60, and the newer engine is out a jap crate motor, had 55k Miles when installed, now has 75k afaik... I am good at tackling little projects, and do wrench on my own junk.. but a restoration of this level has always been beyond me (time, money & knowledge). Its a rare find for me as it tackles some of the issues I am reluctant to do on my own, mainly saving an old rusty frame/body, or finding a new one to start from scratch with... Wont get to see it till tomorrow night.

Seller has a 45 troopie from Iceland that is his next project truck, and said he has a really clean 83 FJ40 with the AC, Fact PS, etc... will try to get pics when I visit...

Its not a gas.. its a diesel...

Jomama said:
Its actually comprised of 3 different vehicles... Body and Frame are out of a New Mexico FJ60, and the seller says are extremely clean, and were refinished when they started the project.... Axles & drivetrain are out of the original HJ60, and the newer engine is out a jap crate motor, had 55k Miles when installed, now has 75k afaik... I am good at tackling little projects, and do wrench on my own junk.. but a restoration of this level has always been beyond me (time, money & knowledge). Its a rare find for me as it tackles some of the issues I am reluctant to do on my own, mainly saving an old rusty frame/body, or finding a new one to start from scratch with... Wont get to see it till tomorrow night.

QUOTE]

This sounds good if the description is accurate. If the spare engine only has a cracked head its like money in the bank;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom