80 Supercharger...What should they cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Supercharging a 93/94 80

A couple of items from the guy with the most recent BTDT on a 94

The SC kit for the 93/94 carries two part numbers
00646-17620-501 = SC kit for 1995-1997 LC with 4.5L I6
00602-17620-505 = Pulsed Secondary Inj Valve kit (93/94 app)

IIRC, the list price on 501 is3899 and list price on the 505 is around 260 or so. 93/94 trucks carry the unique mounting of the Sec Inj Valve kit (EGR). From my research you can get the 501 to fit without 505, but you will no longer be EO (Emissions exempt), and you will have quite obvious problems passing a visual with EGR blocking. EGR blocking is EPA's latest target in the war on fumes, so think twice about not getting 505. IIRC II, Dan indicated to me that the 505 is really a tough find.

Directly commenting on a 2500kit... It is a Buy it Now. Going discount rate is 3k for a new one, plus another couple for the 505(expect to pay full list for the 505 if you find one). I'm not convinced the guy is scamming yet, more likely, he figures it is what it is, and the price reflects that. IOW, it's YOUR risk to make sure it fits. I'd think with a bit of research and cooperation, you could get your seller to help you out. I'd advise before you do that, make sure you are a committed buyer first, it helps your negotiation standpoint, and doesn't piss off the seller (BTDT many times selling overstock at my shop).

Me, when I was shopping for my SC as a committed buyer, I already knew list, had the manual, knew the discount, and contacted Dan for his price (which btw, was dead nuts on with the 'unknown entity' quotes). I posted up my desire to find one, but until mine was in a box at my shop, I wouldn't post a darn thing here. Paranoid, vulture theory, or just smart shopping? Well, I found one used, at a significant discount, and with manuals in hand, was able to verify what the seller was shipping me, was complete (ok, he skipped pulling the 1.50USD IM plug), and in fact, negotiated extra parts with it.

Yes, premium gas is a must, rechip is not mandatory, but probably worthwhile (I haven't done my research on this, a lot of weeding to do here). The truck doesn't squeal tires like the 4R 3.4 app my buddy has, but the torque hit is significant, the hwy gas mileage is no different, and it moves the big rig really well. It's a gentlemens tweek, it's quiet, has a phenom torque band, and adds only good character to a classic toy. Really allows you to run with the 470's and the X5, without losing all the goodness of the 80.

HTH and my .02

Scott Justusson
'94 FZJ80 Supercharged

Last edited:
Skillet;

That's what I paid for mine.

I run regular gas and Slee installed it for me. I live in a cardboard box and wouldn't even bother to try the install.
Be sure its the kit for the '93-94 FZJ80. Now if I can find the parts list! Mines been installed since year 2001. 7000 lb corvette.

dfmorse said:
Skillet;

That's what I paid for mine.

I run regular gas and Slee installed it for me. I live in a cardboard box and wouldn't even bother to try the install.
Be sure its the kit for the '93-94 FZJ80. Now if I can find the parts list! Mines been installed since year 2001. 7000 lb corvette.

DF:
I might point you to a couple of pages in your installation manual for the SC

Page 17 Step 43: "Apply premium stickers to the fuel guage and the fuel filler door"

Or

Page 18 Symptoms - Possible Causes - Corrective Action
Symptom - "Pings during acceleration"
Possible Causes - "Low octae fuel"
Corrective Action - Fill tank with premium fuel. BE SURE TO US 92 OCTANE FUEL." (yes, in all caps)

I could really get nerdy and speak to forced induction in terms of effective compression ratio vs octane levels with no change in timing maps, but I'd rather just say, premium fuel should be figured into the cost of adding an SC to any normally aspriated motor. With FZJ80 less than ideal flapper MAF and stock injectors added into the mix...

FYI II, I get a very slight pinging at redline on occasion (less rpm with Shell Vpower) running premium fuel all the time. I suppose running regular would be ok with moderate driving, but for a couple extra bucks a tank, not sure I'd risk the damage. YMMV, but just about every forced induction car sold (thinking stock turbo cars from the factory) says either "premium" or "91 octane min" in the owners manual and/or on the guage, and/or on the fuel door.

Scott Justusson
'94 FZJ80 SC

The guy selling the SC really is the developer of the TRD/Kazuma SC, I've met him and been to his shop in San Martin, CA. He has the castings and moldings of the original SC that produced over 400HP.

Want to see all the original SC castings and learn about the Kazuma/TRD SC then go see Lawrence Farmer, Great guy!! Races Porsches, the guy is a wealth of knowledge. Check the link below.

http://millerteamracing.com/team.php

By the way I paid $2800 for my old SC including the PAIR valve kit, it was a smoking deal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom