80 series power antenna (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi members does anyone have the wiring diagram for electric antenna on right hand drive 1995 model thanks as the one i have doesnt match the wire colours to my car . I have the left hand drive wiring diagram . Thanks for any help.
This is a pic of the one i have

Screenshot_20210711-183639_Samsung Notes.jpg

Thanks so much for that but it doesnt seem like the right one as i dont have the auto function no antenna ecu and the wire colours dont match on the up down switch

Thanks so much for that but it doesnt seem like the right one as i dont have the auto function no antenna ecu and the wire colours dont match on the up down switch
Care to post a VIN, or more specific model info? Need more precise model, year, and and region info. Maybe post a picture too of the wires you're looking at if possible.

As soon as i get home i will. Its a december 1995 gxl rhd from australia the plug is black single 6 pin with number 2 missing a pin . Not sure of colours of wire but not the same as my diagram . No lime and yellow no lime no gray wires on the plug and its a up and down switch no auto function . Thanks again

Do you have an issue with the antenna? If all you need to know is the colours then pull the switch and give it a visual. On the other hand if you have a problem with antenna function then try and describe it and maybe we can help.

Do you have an issue with the antenna? If all you need to know is the colours then pull the switch and give it a visual. On the other hand if you have a problem with antenna function then try and describe it and maybe we can help.
Im fitting a power antenna as i had a manual antenna. Iv installed the antenna and found the right plug for it in the engine bay and i pulled the blank socket out on the dash where the power antenna switch is supposed to be and located the plug but befor i plug in the switch i wanted to check the wiring from diagram to my plug and the wire colours are diffrent so i dont want to plug the switch in incace i short somthing out

OK, few things you should know. All 80s with power antennas from Australia had the auto height feature. That means there should be an antenna relay box on the passenger side behind the kick panel, way up high. There should be two different connectors running to the antenna. The normal switch on a 95 series dash should have "Auto" and "Down" buttons. That's the factory arrangement. As you'll see on the wiring diagram above, Australia (for some bizarre reason) had this unique config.

If it hasn't been messed with, the plug for the antenna switch won't be connected to the antenna at all, it goes to the antenna relay, which if it's not present means the switch by itself won't be doing anything.

You can fit a normal up/down button rather than the useless "auto" feature, which only works on the factory radio deck, and changes the antenna height when you switch between AM and FM bands. I've done this on my rig. All you need is the up/down switch, and to make one wiring change between the switch and the antenna relay. You will need the antenna relay though, and a power antenna with both connectors, not one, or you'll have to make some significant changes.

It would help to provide some pictures so we can see what you're working with.

So iv got the up and down switch and the antenna has only 1 plug with 2 wires in it and the signal cable . Here are some pics the first 2 pics are of the switch plug and the second 2 are the antenna plugged in at the engine bay look near the passenger fender

20210712_202240.jpg

20210712_202300.jpg

20210712_202354.jpg

20210712_202434.jpg

Right, so what you've got is part of two different systems. The wiring diagram above shows the two alternate setups, one for Australia and one for everywhere else. The wiring harness in your car is the Australian spec. You'll see the pin configuration and wiring colours on that plug match what's shown on the wiring diagram above for the Australian region. The signal wires from that plug don't go directly to the antenna, it'll go to a grey connector behind your passenger side kick panel, which if your 80 never had a power antenna won't be connected to anything.

You basically need to decide which end result you want to aim for. In my Australian 80, which also didn't have a power antenna at manufacture but I added it later, I have a modified version of the Australian setup. I kept the power antenna ECU, as it makes the antenna go up and down automatically when I turn the head unit on/off, and it remembers the height I left it set to, which I like. I ditched the "Auto" functionality to try and change the antenna height automatically though, and just went with manual up/down buttons, so I set the height and it stays where I set it, apart from going up/down automatically as the head unit turns on or off. If this is what you want, you'll need to source an antenna ECU (also called auto antenna relay, but ECU is more accurate here), as well as a different power antenna, which also has a four pin connector to report on the antenna height as well as the two pin connector to control the motor. If you look in your engine bay, you'll find this other four pin connector coming off the same harness as the two pin connector you've hooked up. The relay and antenna are possibly functionality identical to the ones on late model Lexus LX450's, which also had this kind of power antenna config. Apart from that, you're looking at wrecks in Australia.

The other option is to keep the antenna you've got, and rewire the switch to work the way the power antenna did on 80 series models outside Australia. For that, you've got the wiring diagram above again. You'd have to change some pins in that plug to work with the switch you've got, connecting the signal wires to the antenna motor, probably by bridging them at that grey plug for the antenna ecu where they all come together. You'd also need to take a new power run from the CIG fuse to the switch as shown. Getting a wiring pigtail for that plug with the extra pin from a local wreck would probably help. That would be the cheaper and easier option. It depends how comfortable you are doing wiring work though.

Wow that makes alot of sense thanks so much for that and yes you are rite there is a 4 pin plug next to that 2 pin plug but i got this antenna brand new and it was a task and a half putting the antenna in the fender and running the cable through the little hole to go in the cab and im sure im not going through all that again so my only option is to keep this antenna and go with the rewiring option and just to set it at a hight i like and the main reason i wanted a power antenna is when i go 4wding i can lower the antenna when i come across branches

Here's some more stuff that'll help when you get into the wiring:
20210712_221007.jpg

20210712_221046.jpg

And for completeness, here's the wiring info for the pre-95 models with the older dash:
20210712_221116.jpg

The Australian models had a triple Auto/Up/Down switch in these earlier models, and this wiring diagram shows how to wire a down button to the antenna ecu. Not relevant for you, but might be of use to someone else looking at this in the future.

Thanks alot that was a big big help .time to do some rewiring lol . Would you know where i can pick up the signal from for left and right indicators from as i also am wiring up a blind spot monitor and theres 2 wires i need to conect to the indicators?

Thanks alot that was a big big help .time to do some rewiring lol . Would you know where i can pick up the signal from for left and right indicators from as i also am wiring up a blind spot monitor and theres 2 wires i need to conect to the indicators?
One easy place is the hazard switch, as they come together there.

Sorry, missed your question about the hazard switch. Glad you got that sorted.

With the power antenna, it's pretty straightforward. You've got a DC motor there directly connected to that plug with the two terminals under the hood. If you connect +12v to one terminal and ground to the other, the antenna will go up. Reverse the terminals and it'll go down. You can test that at the antenna itself just by contacting it directly to the battery. With your up/down switch, you want to connect to ground at pin 2, and +12v at pin 4, ideally through the CIG fuse as shown (but definitely through some kind of fuse). You want to connect pins 3 and 5 to those two terminals on the antenna. Both buttons are grounded when not pressed, and whichever one you press connects to +12v, so you just connect them in the right order so that pressing up charges the motor in the right direction to make it move up, and pressing down will then do the inverse and make it go down.

I'd test this first to get comfortable with it. You can power the antenna motor directly as I said to confirm direction and that it's working as you expect. You can test the switch using the continuity setting on a multimeter. Once you've got it straight what wires you're connecting to where, it's just a matter of making those connections. You'll have to do some rewiring at the switch. You can leave pins 1, 6, 3 and 5 as they are. Move pin 4 to the pin 2 position to get your ground. You'll then need to add a new pin into the now vacant pin 4 position for your +12v. That's where a pigtail from a wreck would help. I would splice that wire into the +12v for the cigarette lighter just a little further down on the dash. From there, find the empty antenna relay connector on the passenger side kick panel. You want to connect, I believe, pin 9 to pin 6, and pin 2 to pin 3. That'll bridge the switch directly to the antenna motor contacts. I might have up/down reversed. If I do, make it 9 to 3 and 2 to 6 instead. Test it first and you'll know which way is up, so to speak. ;)

Sorry, missed your question about the hazard switch. Glad you got that sorted.

With the power antenna, it's pretty straightforward. You've got a DC motor there directly connected to that plug with the two terminals under the hood. If you connect +12v to one terminal and ground to the other, the antenna will go up. Reverse the terminals and it'll go down. You can test that at the antenna itself just by contacting it directly to the battery. With your up/down switch, you want to connect to ground at pin 2, and +12v at pin 4, ideally through the CIG fuse as shown (but definitely through some kind of fuse). You want to connect pins 3 and 5 to those two terminals on the antenna. Both buttons are grounded when not pressed, and whichever one you press connects to +12v, so you just connect them in the right order so that pressing up charges the motor in the right direction to make it move up, and pressing down will then do the inverse and make it go down.

I'd test this first to get comfortable with it. You can power the antenna motor directly as I said to confirm direction and that it's working as you expect. You can test the switch using the continuity setting on a multimeter. Once you've got it straight what wires you're connecting to where, it's just a matter of making those connections. You'll have to do some rewiring at the switch. You can leave pins 1, 6, 3 and 5 as they are. Move pin 4 to the pin 2 position to get your ground. You'll then need to add a new pin into the now vacant pin 4 position for your +12v. That's where a pigtail from a wreck would help. I would splice that wire into the +12v for the cigarette lighter just a little further down on the dash. From there, find the empty antenna relay connector on the passenger side kick panel. You want to connect, I believe, pin 9 to pin 6, and pin 2 to pin 3. That'll bridge the switch directly to the antenna motor contacts. I might have up/down reversed. If I do, make it 9 to 3 and 2 to 6 instead. Test it first and you'll know which way is up, so to speak. ;)
Thanks that is so clear now i understand. what im doing now is removing on the switch end pin 4 which is ground to location pin 2 slot witch is empty that will give me ground in the right location . Thats my first step... then i need to locate the power which is in the kick panel antenna computer plug witch is a gray wire and run that to pin 4 on the switch. Then pin 3 and 5 need to go to that 2 pin antenna plug that the antenna is connected to in the engine bay and those 2 pins need to be orientated the right way to make up go up and down go down . Does that sound right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom