80 Series multi-seat recline (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched high and low for this. Has anyone tried to mod a US-spec 80 series to make a "lounger mod" like shown here (go to 9mins if link doesnt work):

I saw some threads on actual reclining of the rear seats but not much about the fold-down of the front seats.

I just watched this video yesterday and it made me want a VX Limited even more than before. I haven't looked at my seats to see if this would even be possible but my guess is that the easiest route will be new JDM seats.

That is some serious front row reclining angle. I wonder if the common mod of removing the 2nd/3rd row pins in the US models would work on the front.
What black magic is this? Haven't come across this being mentioned before. Does this allow you to recline the rears like in the vid?

What black magic is this? Haven't come across this being mentioned before. Does this allow you to recline the rears like in the vid?

Kind of, but I couldn’t find anything for the front seats YET. Anyone have the balls to try it or plan on replacing theirs so they can take a look?

This is awesome! I need to try this.

Kind of, but I couldn’t find anything for the front seats YET. Anyone have the balls to try it or plan on replacing theirs so they can take a look?
I've been wanting to replace my front D/S seat as the bottom is shot. Just not sure when I'll be doing so.

I need to either cover, reupholster, or replace my front seats in the near future but I would be very inclined (tried the pun but it didnt work) to get a seat that could make this type of recline an option.

I chopped up a junk cloth set from a 91 a while back (for disposal). The mechanism does not allow for a fold flat option, from what I recall, without significant modifications. You'd have to completely swap the hinges/pivot points on each seat, which wouldn't be that difficult, since there's only 4 bolts per side.

It was several months ago, and, unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of my destruction.

I chopped up a junk cloth set from a 91 a while back (for disposal). The mechanism does not allow for a fold flat option, from what I recall, without significant modifications. You'd have to completely swap the hinges/pivot points on each seat, which wouldn't be that difficult, since there's only 4 bolts per side.

It was several months ago, and, unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of my destruction.
Were these the manual cloth ones by chance?

That is interesting as I wonder why Toyota would make completely different mechanisms for different markets instead of just putting a pin in the seats like the rear ones.

I would guess that it might be a US/North American safety regulation imposed by the government or self imposed by the manufacturer

I would guess that it might be a US/North American safety regulation imposed by the government or self imposed by the manufacturer
Right. Generally, those are the sort of things that make welded pins happen. Same thing happened with my 2018 Golf R center console. I could either remove the pin or buy the proper gear from overseas.

Ours already do this though?

I've slept in my front seat plenty of times, although I don't keep my 2nd row in (and instead keep the third row in, but folded up ready for pulling down for passengers), but the front row goes ALL the way flat on a 1995 North American model. Like it can literally go so far that it becomes less comfortable. Doing what's in the video is a cakewalk.

I had saved the 2nd row seat mod a few years, but now I see a real reason to do it.

That's a lot of use on the seat motors though, mine are usually 90% back for driving, and I just scoot it the rest of the way back for more foot room to sleep. This would be going all the way forwards.

Ours already do this though?

I've slept in my front seat plenty of times, although I don't keep my 2nd row in (and instead keep the third row in, but folded up ready for pulling down for passengers), but the front row goes ALL the way flat on a 1995 North American model. Like it can literally go so far that it becomes less comfortable. Doing what's in the video is a cakewalk.

I had saved the 2nd row seat mod a few years, but now I see a real reason to do it.

That's a lot of use on the seat motors though, mine are usually 90% back for driving, and I just scoot it the rest of the way back for more foot room to sleep. This would be going all the way forwards.
This may be yet another difference between the model years. The seats I described are from a 1991. Good to know 95 seats recline more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom