80 series cruise control troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, Trying to figure out why the cruise control works perfectly on my 93 HDJ81 up to around 110 KM/Hr (68 MPH) then cannot set cruise beyond that? Tried turning off and resetting - no luck. Tried using just accel button to creep it past 110 but wont set? Any ideas? Would there have been some sort of setting on a part limiting the speed? Can that be part be adjusted? removed? replaced?

As I stated in another cruise control thread a few days ago make sure the cable from the actuator does not have excessive slack. Over time that cable can stretch.

As I stated in another cruise control thread a few days ago make sure the cable from the actuator does not have excessive slack. Over time that cable can stretch.

My 1997 80 cruise control was acting wonky for a while. Tightened that cable and poof - all issues fixed.

Cruise control on my 80 turns on, blinks few times and turns off. Found this thread while searching and was wondering which actuator you refer to?

Cruise control on my 80 turns on, blinks few times and turns off. Found this thread while searching and was wondering which actuator you refer to?

It is the cruise control actuator which on the 1FZ-FE motor is located on top of the passenger side inner fender. The cable referenced goes from that actuator to throttle body where the accelerator and transmission control cables all attach.

@daCruiser

The actuator is on the passenger front wheel well in the engine compartment. It has a cable that runs over to the throttle body. you can basically take all of the slack out of that cable with the throttle body fully closed (gas pedal not depressed at all) so that the throttle is not held open at all by the cruise control cable but the cable is not loose/slackened at all.

I've seen the blinking light/no work scenario on my '97s cruise control as a result of a faulty brake pedal position switch. I only see this intermittently but if my cruise ever does what you describe I can simply bump the brake pedal a few times and then my cruise control works fine after. Apparently this brake pedal position switch is a somewhat common cause of cruise control issues, though there are a few others to check as well.

Another quick fix that helps some is to pop the cover off of the actuator and then cycle/move the arm fully through it's travel a number of times to clean the contacts (or something similar) inside it. Similarly some folks need to clean or replace the speed sensor to get their cruise control working again.

Drop the following lines into Google (one complete line at a time) to read up on these topics and arm yourself with a handful of fixes to try:

• fzj80 cruise control repair site:forum.ih8mud.com
  • fzj80 cruise control speed sensor site:forum.ih8mud.com

Yes, it's on the RF fender.

Check your cable adjustment.

I bought a new throttle cable to resolve a sticky throttle and it also resolved my cruise control issue because I also had to adjust it.

Only buy OEM throttle cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom