78 odometer wheel disassembly help (1 Viewer)

I’m not sure but I think after a certain year they added brass fittings on both sides so the numbers can’t be changed easily.

I think I have a broken tooth inside and I wanna disassemble to check.
I’ve found through search of threads many questions about this but no definitive answer on this?
the one I purchased has 450k mile reading - Mine is wayyy lower.
Can I yank one of the brass looking fittings down the shaft a bit? (As a poster from a long while ago mentioned off hand) or is there a technique?

I noticed another cir clip behind the thinner brass fitting which if taken off would give some room to work that one up...but that’s just a theory. Previous threads had all the number circles coming off from the black side first and the white number wheel last - but for mine I just don’t see how that’s possible unless the thicker brass fitting slides up which I doubt.

Help please..any info appreciated.

78CA2F81-BF8F-403D-8E0B-7F9588A76330.jpeg

877C58A1-3D73-4947-B0A8-1C01D54DFD26.jpeg

Last edited:

TheHardWay

Ain't as easy as it looks
SILVER Star
The brass fitting next to the 1/10 ring is the one I pried off to remove all the number rings. Not easy to work it off, but I got it w/o breaking it.
IMG_0604 (1).JPG

Last edited:
So the one with the cir clip in my second pic next to the white numbers...ok figured - thx ... how’d you work it up? What tool?

TheHardWay

Ain't as easy as it looks
SILVER Star
Pretty sure I wedged two small slotted screwdrivers between the brass fitting and circlip and s-l-o-w-l-y pried and walked it off the shaft. I'll check my photos after lunch.
Edit: sorry, no other pics that would show how I did it.

Last edited:
ya my plan was that I’m gunna clamp it on that one end and then do that exact thing you mentioned or else get my needle nose vice grips and get a thin towel on either side and just clamp it and work it without hurting it of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom